Flag membership record in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bcslas-p40

Flag membership record in MLS

Post by bcslas-p40 »

I have a question about flagging membership records in MLS. As far as I know, this cannot be done unless you actually "MOVE HOUSEHOLD RECORD OUT OF UNIT". Can anyone tell me otherwise? Here is the request from my Bishop:

"Can you look into the record-flagging procedure a little more? I think that there should be some way to flag records so that if and when another ward pulls the record from ours, the bishop of that ward will be notified to call me. We should be able to do this without sending the record out of our ward just as a caution. I would like to flag the record of some families moving out within the next few weeks with a note for the next bishop to call me, but I don't want to send the record out yet."

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I don't have that option unless I send the record out right?

Thanks so much in advance.

bcslas
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From the MLS help file:

"Move Restriction:
If a bishop wants to make sure a record is not moved by another ward without his knowledge, he can request a Move Restriction by calling the administration office. Then when a move request for the record comes to the administration office, they will contact the bishop before allowing the move."

I'd suggest contacting CHQ and advising them of what's wanted. Maybe there's another way to handle it, but I don't see any way to do that with just some mouse clicks in MLS.
ericb

Post by ericb »

bcslas wrote:"I think that there should be some way to flag records so that if and when another ward pulls the record from ours, the bishop of that ward will be notified to call me

We had a similar situation recently of our Bishop wanting to make sure the new Bishop for a family that was moving had contacted him once the records were transferred out -- we (the clerks) had to keep a watch on it and let him know. Having the option for a 'note when records are pulled' would have been a much better resolution.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

As a bishop, this is a feature that is really needed, a flag would make more sense in most cases rather than a move restriction. There is still a need for move restrictions but most cases don't require such a radical constraint. In some situations all the bishop wants is to have the next bishop contact them, so they can give that next Bishop some background - a move restriction does not accomplish that very well. The only other option is to contact confidential records and have them flag the membership which again seems like overkill for communicating background information to the next bishop.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Another strategy might be when the move-out report arrives, to look at where it went, consult the COI and make a call.

I'm not exactly sure how the membership record is flagged.

One issue I've seen with MLS is that sensitive information (such as disfellowshipment) is only shown if the record is printed (or at least previewed) on move-in. Otherwise it's darn hard (if even possible) to get MLS to display that information. Unfortunately many consider printing the individual move-ins a waste of paper and don't do it, not realizing that they may be overlooking critical information.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

What information is in the move-out, does it include the ward the member moved to? If not then it wouldn't have the benefit that they are looking for.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:What information is in the move-out, does it include the ward the member moved to? If not then it wouldn't have the benefit that they are looking for.
I think it does. I know it was there under the older systems.
bcslas-p40

Post by bcslas-p40 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I agree this would be a great feature to have. Too bad the latest rev. of MLS didn't include something like this. Is there any way to make recomendations?

Thanks again....
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Those that work on MLS look at the boards and will take this into account. Tom has mentioned that he also will forward these suggestions onto the MLS group.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:Tom has mentioned that he also will forward these suggestions onto the MLS group.
Yes, we regularly take all suggestions and bugs and send them to the product manager of the team in charge of MLS.

Tom

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”