Camera control cables

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Camera control cables

Post by craiggsmith »

I wish the Sony EVI-D70 camera came with a control cable. Are there any local stores that would stock one, or do I have to mail-order it? I couldn't find it on the web sites of any major stores.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Assuming that you're looking for the round RS-232 control cable (on camera) to a COM serial port cable (PC).

If so, search eBay for "VISCA RS-232" and check INCLUDE DESCRIPTIONS you should see some starting around $15. You could also search Google for the same thing. Keep in mind, if you get a cable with a RJ45 CAT5 connector and adapter, you can use inexpensive CAT5 cables to extend the distance.

Hope this helps.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks. Either of the connectors would be fine. Yeah, I've seen them on the web, I was just hoping to be able to play with it today or tomorrow. I'm not sure if and where we're going to mount the camera so for now I just want something that connects directly to the computer.

I was reading in the manual and was surprised at how far you could send the signal over CAT5; it seems that's the ticket for sending just about anything these days.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Is there any reason to go with 422 instead of 232?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:Is there any reason to go with 422 instead of 232?

422 is generally considered "better" in that it is more resistant to noise, especially if there is noise between the grounds of the two pieces of equipment in question. I think it's also more likely to allow a higher baud rate over longer distances.

But for the task at hand, I'm not sure if there's any difference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

[quote="craiggsmith"]Is there any reason to go with 422 instead of 232?[/quote]
I had no problems with communications to the Sony EVI-D70 camera via RS-232 and a computer, but never tested it beyond 50' (maximum cable length of RS-232 is 50', although I've heard it can actually work beyond that).

As far as RS-422 and a computer, I was never able to get it to work with the free software. I’ve tried several computers, USB to RS-422 adapters, and I even purchased a RS-422 serial card, but had no luck. Also, because the free software was difficult to use and somewhat limited, we invested in Sony's remote control unit, which supports RS-422.

By using RS-422, we don't have cable length problems (we are running 3 EVI-D70 cameras daisy-chained over a 250' run) and RS-422 works great with the RM-BR300 remote control unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michaelfish wrote:maximum cable length of RS-232 is 50', although I've heard it can actually work beyond that

Is that a Sony limitation? I've tortured RS-232 far beyond that in the past, usually at 9600 baud. I'm not sure what the camera's baud rate is. RS-422 would be a better fit for using Cat 5 cable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks everyone.

I found a couple light blue 9-pin RS-232 to RJ45 cables in our closet -- anyone know what they are for?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

craiggsmith wrote:Thanks everyone.

I found a couple light blue 9-pin RS-232 to RJ45 cables in our closet -- anyone know what they are for?
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Cisco-Co ... B001S2PYVY? If so, they are probably Cisco serial cables.

Aaron Z
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yes, that looks like them. I was thinking they may have come with the Cisco firewall.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”