MLS 3.3.1 and custom budget subcategories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aarondesk

MLS 3.3.1 and custom budget subcategories

Post by aarondesk »

Our system just upgraded to MLS 3.3.1 so I need to adjust our budget balances. I thought instructions would be sent through the financial statements, but no instructions have appeared.

We want to allocate funds to our ward choir. I created a custom sub-category under "Budget Allocation" for the choir (this looked like the only place I could put it), but when I try to adjust the budget levels, the 'choir' sub-category is not listed, only the pre-loaded categories.

Is it possible to add funds directly to the 'choir' budget?

Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aarondesk wrote:Our system just upgraded to MLS 3.3.1 so I need to adjust our budget balances. I thought instructions would be sent through the financial statements, but no instructions have appeared.

We want to allocate funds to our ward choir. I created a custom sub-category under "Budget Allocation" for the choir (this looked like the only place I could put it), but when I try to adjust the budget levels, the 'choir' sub-category is not listed, only the pre-loaded categories.

Is it possible to add funds directly to the 'choir' budget?

It's still possible to allocate funds to subcategories. The problem you're having is that Budget Allocations was never a good place to put the ward choir budget, and now with MLS 3.3.1, restrictions on that particular subcategory are being enforced.

Create a ward choir category as a subcategory of "Budget:Miscellaneous" and you should have no troubles. You can then specify a budget for that subcategory of Budget (and all others, except for Budget Allocations) using View/Edit Budget.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

aarondesk wrote:Our system just upgraded to MLS 3.3.1 so I need to adjust our budget balances. I thought instructions would be sent through the financial statements, but no instructions have appeared.

We got 3.3.1 today and the 12 page PDF instructions were downloaded and can be located with the financial statements. You might have to look down the list a bit. It was not at the top.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mfmohlma wrote:We got 3.3.1 today and the 12 page PDF instructions were downloaded and can be located with the financial statements. You might have to look down the list a bit. It was not at the top.
The document sent down in the financial statements section of MLS was attached to post #13 of the January Financial Statements thread. There was also an MLS message that gave instructions on how/where to find this document.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aarondesk

Post by aarondesk »

Thank you - worked great!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”