First Presidency Exception for Baptism of a Convict

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
kjensen2010

First Presidency Exception for Baptism of a Convict

Post by kjensen2010 »

Section 16.3.14 of Handbook I covers Church policy on baptism of Persons Who Have Been Convicted of Crimes. In most cases they are not eligible for baptism until completing their ters of parole or probation... unless the First Presidency grants an exception.

I am trying to determine for my Bishop (I am the Ward Clerk) the process for applying for an exception from the First Presidency. What form/forms are needed for the application process? Or, can someone point out the Section in the Handbook that provides these directions. Thanks...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kjensen2010 wrote:I am trying to determine for my Bishop (I am the Ward Clerk) the process for applying for an exception from the First Presidency. What form/forms are needed for the application process? Or, can someone point out the Section in the Handbook that provides these directions. Thanks...

In general, bishops are to consult with the stake president on such matters. The stake president is the one who makes any requests of the First Presidency, if he agrees that this is an appropriate course of action. For this particular situation, I really doubt there is any particular form -- the stake president would simply write a letter to the Office of the First Presidency, explaining the situation and the justification for an exception to policy.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kjensen2010 wrote:Section 16.3.14 of Handbook I covers Church policy on baptism of Persons Who Have Been Convicted of Crimes. In most cases they are not eligible for baptism until completing their ters of parole or probation... unless the First Presidency grants an exception.

I am trying to determine for my Bishop (I am the Ward Clerk) the process for applying for an exception from the First Presidency. What form/forms are needed for the application process? Or, can someone point out the Section in the Handbook that provides these directions. Thanks...

As aebrown has said, the bishop would consult with the stake president on this matter, and the stake president would make the request to the First Presidency.

Of interest, this would only apply if the baptismal candidate is 8 years old. If the candidate is 9 or older, it is the mission president who would be applying to the First Presidency for an exception, if the exception is not already covered in his Mission Presidents Handbook.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

lajackson wrote:Of interest, this would only apply if the baptismal candidate is 8 years old. If the candidate is 9 or older, it is the mission president who would be applying to the First Presidency for an exception, if the exception is not already covered in his Mission Presidents Handbook.
What if the baptism was for re-admission? Wouldn't that bounce it back to the bishop or stake president?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:What if the baptism was for re-admission? Wouldn't that bounce it back to the bishop or stake president?
A baptism to readmit a member who has been excommunicated takes place under the direction of the stake president, who seeks approval from the First Presidency where required. Carefully follow the instructions in Handbook 1 and on the Report of Disciplinary Action.

If the bishop was authorized to hold the council, he sends his report to the stake president, who will take it from there and let the bishop know when all is approved for the baptism to take place. Sometimes the stake president is able to approve the readmission, and the baptism takes place before the Report is sent to the First Presidency. If First Presidency approval is required, the recommendation is sent forward by the stake president and he awaits their approval before the baptism takes place.

In either case, the stake president would request any exception from the First Presidency as a part of the Disciplinary Council process. The way this would be handled would normally be discussed between the bishop and stake president before the stake president authorizes the bishop to hold the council (if he is going to give that authorization).

The bishop really needs to speak with the stake president about this one.
kjensen2010

Post by kjensen2010 »

Thanks for the insight. I kind of thought that this would go through the Mission President or Stake President. My Bishop indicated that he had spoken to the SP who told him to proceed with the application to the First Presidency, thus my question. By the way, this is a convert baptism (not a readmit). Strange situation to say the least, but the insight here confirmed what I assumed was the approach that should be taken.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kjensen2010 wrote:Thanks for the insight. I kind of thought that this would go through the Mission President or Stake President. My Bishop indicated that he had spoken to the SP who told him to proceed with the application to the First Presidency, thus my question. By the way, this is a convert baptism (not a readmit). Strange situation to say the least, but the insight here confirmed what I assumed was the approach that should be taken.
Since this is a convert baptism, the mission president would be the one to make the request to the First Presidency. He may ask the stake president (and the bishop) to assist with letters and information, since they may be more familiar with the situation.
xy12

Re: First Presidency Exception for Baptism of a Convict

Post by xy12 »

If an excommunicated member with an application with the Office of the First Presidency has stopped attending Church, what happens to the application? is it still processed? Will the Stake President recieve a reply? The Office of the First Presidency asks a question of the applicant every 6-8 months spanning years.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

xy12 wrote:If an excommunicated member with an application with the Office of the First Presidency has stopped attending Church, what happens to the application? is it still processed? Will the Stake President recieve a reply? The Office of the First Presidency asks a question of the applicant every 6-8 months spanning years.
As long as the First Presidency has all of the needed information, the application still will continue to be processed. If the First Presidency asks a question (through the stake president), the application holds until the question is answered, then proceeds with processing again.

If the stake president believes the application should be held because the member has stopped attending Church, he may inform the First Presidency and they will make an appropriate decision.
xy12

Post by xy12 »

Thank you lajackson, your response has been most helpful and clear. Very good.

Return to “Reports and Forms”