IE SmartScreen Filter

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

IE SmartScreen Filter

Post by craiggsmith »

One more question - do you recommended enabling IE's SmartScreen filter? I find it bogs things down a bit sometimes, although web access is typically minimal on a clerk PC. I suppose it's a little bit of extra security, but with the firewall filtering is it worth it?

I'm almost done with my documentation of PC setup procedures. I would like to post my setup instructions for others to edit and add to. Of course, it's for XP (which is all I've ever received) so it will shortly be obsolete, but perhaps it can serve as a basis for 7. I would like to see a new Wiki page for this. I see the ability to upload files, but I'm not sure what happens to those. Should I do that or just create a new page or send them to someone for review first?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:One more question - do you recommended enabling IE's SmartScreen filter? I find it bogs things down a bit sometimes, although web access is typically minimal on a clerk PC. I suppose it's a little bit of extra security, but with the firewall filtering is it worth it?
I never turn on SmartScreen -- I don't see the minimal benefit being worth any slowdown.
craiggsmith wrote:I'm almost done with my documentation of PC setup procedures. I would like to post my setup instructions for others to edit and add to. Of course, it's for XP (which is all I've ever received) so it will shortly be obsolete, but perhaps it can serve as a basis for 7. I would like to see a new Wiki page for this. I see the ability to upload files, but I'm not sure what happens to those. Should I do that or just create a new page or send them to someone for review first?
You can upload files on the wiki and link to them from a wiki page. But if you're going to create a wiki page, please make sure that the bulk of the text is wiki text. That makes it editable. There's no need to send your content to anyone for review -- the whole idea of the wiki is that you put the information out there and the community gradually improves it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:One more question - do you recommended enabling IE's SmartScreen filter?
I've always turned it on, but never kept track of performance or if it's ever done any protection.

craiggsmith wrote:I'm almost done with my documentation of PC setup procedures. I would like to post my setup instructions for others to edit and add to.

Just as a reminder, be sure to remove passwords or any other sensitive information since anything posted in the wiki is public. It would be good to leave references as to where the missing information can be found.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks brethren. I'll have to learn a bit about wikis. I guess there are some ways to convert word docs to wiki text. I don't see an obvious way to create a new page though.

Yes, I have removed passwords. I've been debating how detailed to make it. Initially I was just going to say what needed to be done as opposed to detailed instructions on how to do it, but I guess the latter is better, along with links and everything else necessary to make it a stand-alone resource.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I've been debating how detailed to make it. Initially I was just going to say what needed to be done as opposed to detailed instructions on how to do it,

For someone "in the know", I find a outline is more readable. But for the newbie, they need the details. So what I'd suggest is something like the step in bold and the detail in smaller print.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good idea. Or I also see that it's possible to show/hide sections?
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”