ward tools

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Newt

ward tools

Post by Newt »

Does anyone know whats going on with ward tools for the I phone. I have been using it for a couple of years now and have loved it. Our ward has updated MLS to to the latest version not sure what the numbers are (3.3.?) any way after trying to update my phone I got a error that the files are not compatible. So I updated to the latest software, everything seemed to work fine. My only complaint is now there is no membership record number available. Where the MIR should be shown now it shows a NA. This is one of the most used pieces of info for me. Is this just a bug that is being worked on or is it gone for good?

Thanks for any input
Newt
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Newt wrote:My only complaint is now there is no membership record number available. Where the MIR should be shown now it shows a NA.

As of MLS 3.3, that information was stripped out of the MLS export. It was deliberate and it's not coming back. It may or may not show up in the Leadership tools produced by the church at some later date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Newt wrote:Does anyone know whats going on with ward tools for the I phone. I have been using it for a couple of years now and have loved it.
You may wish to try the LDS Tools app. It does much of what Ward Tools used to do. It is maintained by volunteers for the Church and works fairly well with the new tools at the lds.org site.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

lajackson wrote:You may wish to try the LDS Tools app. It does much of what Ward Tools used to do. It is maintained by volunteers for the Church and works fairly well with the new tools at the lds.org site.
As of today, LDS Tools only provides the same member-directory data available to all rank-and-file members on the website, with none of the confidential detail like Ward Tools. The plan is to expand LDS Tools to offer content and functionality for leaders like Ward Tools has done, but that part of the project is still in the early stages of development. Hopefully, that expanded content will include the MRN, as the original poster desires, but that is not officially settled.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

call me thick - but I can't really see what all the fuss about losing the MRN is all about? I use LDS Tools - and, yes it would be great to have HT/VT supported, but the app as it is now has made a tremendous difference to my ability to serve.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

The MRN is helpful to have. Here are two examples where I have used this information:

* Ward member calls me at home and asks how to access the ward website. (I didn't have to tell them to wait until Sunday for their info.)
* Filling out a temple recommend after an interview.

Certainly, having the MRN in my pocket is not nessecary; however, when it is needed it is very helpful.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

nbflint wrote: * Ward member calls me at home and asks how to access the ward website. (I didn't have to tell them to wait until Sunday for their info.)
The leader tools has the MRN in the member lookup, so you can look that up at home.
nbflint wrote: * Filling out a temple recommend after an interview.
Just look at the old recommend, or as has been pointed out, just have a printout of MRN's in the recommend book.
kschristensen

iPad HT reports

Post by kschristensen »

I'm a ward High Priest Grp Ldr and I have LDS Tools app but it doesn't have HT reports. I had Ward Tools but couldn't download the info and our clerks didn't know how to help me do it. I can't get on LDS.org/leader either. No one in our ward can. Anyway to get Home Teaching reports other than creating in excel like I am now?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kschristensen wrote:I can't get on LDS.org/leader either. No one in our ward can. Anyway to get Home Teaching reports other than creating in excel like I am now?

Your bishop, his counselors, and clerks should be able to get onto the lds.org/leader site. They need to be properly loaded in standard callings in MLS to be able to access the site.

In any event, HT/VT information is not yet available there.

I have found that LDS Tools keeps me going with the basic information, and I pick up any other details I need from the clerk when I am up at the Church. If your ward or stake are using the new calendar, that will also be on your LDS Tools.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

JonesRK wrote:The leader tools has the MRN in the member lookup, so you can look that up at home.

Just look at the old recommend, or as has been pointed out, just have a printout of MRN's in the recommend book.

I agree with both of your suggestions. My comment is only that having the MRN in Ward Tools had proven useful in the field. It is by no means necessary and the Lord's work will continue on without it.

Return to “General Discussions”