Simple File Sharing

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Simple File Sharing

Post by craiggsmith »

I was under the understanding that Simple File Sharing should be turned off for best security, but of course next to the option it says "Recommended". Is there any reason not to turn it off?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:I was under the understanding that Simple File Sharing should be turned off for best security, but of course next to the option it says "Recommended". Is there any reason not to turn it off?
For computers not networked, such as administrative computers, there is no reason to turn on Simple File Sharing. Turning it off makes security breaches more troublesome (for those trying to breach security). Even if you eventually do network the computer, using ACL gives better control of who gains access to shared resources.

Simple file sharing makes it easier (for network novices) to share files and other resources. It is enabled by default on Windows XP Professional systems that are members of a workgroup. Everything that's shared is accessible by everyone on the network under Simple File Sharing. There is a better way of sharing if you want to control who gets access to shared resources by specifing an Access Control List (ACL).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I always turn it off. In my book it's only for neophyte home/very small business users.

Assuming this is a WinXP install, you might also want to make sure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is turned off or not present in the Networking properties as well. Having it there exposes your computer on the local network. Normally, that's not so bad, but because of some of the other church policies, it's a significant and serious security issue.

By default, Win7 is safe in that respect.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks very much, that's what I suspected.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”