Workgroup/Domain

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Workgroup/Domain

Post by craiggsmith »

The third screen I get when setting up a clerk computer with Windows XP is a prompt for the Workgroup or Domain. I find it odd that it forces me to enter one or the other. Not that it matters, but any consensus on what to enter as a workgroup name? I'm thinking either LDS_CHURCH or the ward or stake name. Just curious.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I find it odd that it forces me to enter one or the other.
It's a Windows thing.
craiggsmith wrote:Not that it matters, but any consensus on what to enter as a workgroup name? I'm thinking either LDS_CHURCH or the ward or stake name. Just curious.

As you say, it doesn't matter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Not that it matters, but any consensus on what to enter as a workgroup name? I'm thinking either LDS_CHURCH or the ward or stake name. Just curious.
If you don't enter anything then Windows will enter the default "Workgroup" as the workgroup name. Currently administrative computers are not set up for network operations so the name doesn't matter. If at some future time that it becomes necessary to set up a network you can always setup the workgroup or domain along with the associated name using the network setup wizard.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The computers I've received don't allow you to go on to the next screen without entering something. I think I'll use the stake or ward name in preparation for a possible network someday. Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”