Yearly Budget Allocation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mgrimsle

Yearly Budget Allocation

Post by mgrimsle »

With the new CUBS system can we now carry over any excess monies that our Ward has remaining at the end of the year, or does it get returned to the Stake, and if we can carry it over will it still be in the appropriate allocated locations???
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mgrimsle wrote:With the new CUBS system can we now carry over any excess monies that our Ward has remaining at the end of the year, or does it get returned to the Stake, and if we can carry it over will it still be in the appropriate allocated locations???
By default, Budget funds that remain at the end of the year will carry forward to the new year. The stake president, however, has authority to request that some or all of any surplus be returned to the stake. That would have to be done by a specific request, and the ward writing a check. The CUBS program is still new, but from what I hear, most stakes are choosing not to make such a request.

Especially with the release of MLS 3.3.1, we are strongly encouraged to use the View/Edit Budget screen to set our annual budgets by subcategory. Because these figures reflect annual budgets, any surplus (or deficit) is not carried forward in those actual figures, but is carried forward in a new "Balance Forward" figure in the allowance portion of the View/Edit Budget screen. Read and follow the instructions that were sent out with MLS 3.3.1 and I think this will all be clear.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mgrimsle

Post by mgrimsle »

Thanks so much for the quick response. Can you also tell me if the instructions for MLS 3.3.1 was sent out through the MLS messaging system because I am not sure if our ward has received them yet or not?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mgrimsle wrote:Thanks so much for the quick response. Can you also tell me if the instructions for MLS 3.3.1 was sent out through the MLS messaging system because I am not sure if our ward has received them yet or not?
It appears that it came with the MLS 3.3.1 download (see this post). That doesn't sound like an MLS message, but I'm not sure exactly what that means.

In any case, you can see the message attached to this post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:It appears that it came with the MLS 3.3.1 download (see this post). That doesn't sound like an MLS message, but I'm not sure exactly what that means.

In any case, you can see the message attached to this post.
There is an MLS message that gives instructions where to find in the financial statements section of MLS the document refered to in the post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”