Scriptures for the Visually Impaired on LDS.org

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
israelwj

Scriptures for the Visually Impaired on LDS.org

Post by israelwj »

Hello All,

Recently in Ward Council we discussed a brother who was unable to read the scriptures because he was going blind and could not read braille...

The next morning I was reading scriptures on LDS.org before work and stumbled upon the answer for this problem right there in front of my face.

Very simple process
1. Go to LDS.org and select "sciptures" in the left hand column
2. Select the scriptures you would like to read (BOM, Old Test, New Test, D&C, PofGP)
3. Select the book you would like to read from (1st Nephi, 2nd Nephi, Jacob, Enos, etc...)
4. Select the chapter (chp1, chp2, chp3, etc...)
5. Once the chapter opens to read individual verses an icon will show up on the right hand side of the screen, select the "listen" icon and you can listen to the scriptures being read by both male and female readers

In addition, you can also download the chapter to an MP3 player from the same page :cool:

Obviously the visually impaired person would need assistance getting to the page but this is probably the fastest and easiest way for a visually impaired member/ investigator to access the scriptures without having to purchase audio versions.

Thanks! Will
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

israelwj wrote: 3. Select the book you would like to read from (1st Nephi, 2nd Nephi, Jacob, Enos, etc...)
4. Select the chapter (chp1, chp2, chp3, etc...)
israelwj wrote: In addition, you can also download the chapter to an MP3 player from the same page :cool:
You can also download the entire book (1 Nephi, 2 Nephi, etc) by using the download link at the book level.
PhillipsCJ

Post by PhillipsCJ »

Thanks for posting this Will, greatly appreciated. There are a couple of other resources available for members who have difficulty reading:
Disability Services Manager, LDS Church
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

One additional suggestion. Let's also not forget that the Windows OS itself has a "magnifier" that can enhance the screen size.
It's generally found under Programs, Accessories, Accessability, Magnifier, although the exact location may be different depending upon your operating system.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kohlerj

Re: Scriptures for the Visually Impaired on LDS.org

Post by kohlerj »

What about visually impaired resources for the new Come Follow Me curriculum for 2019?
dkoyle

Post by dkoyle »

I have a blind person requesting Come Follow Me in braille. It's probably not available but does anyone know?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkoyle wrote:I have a blind person requesting Come Follow Me in braille. It's probably not available but does anyone know?
I can't find it in printed form but I did find a "web braille", a brf file, on this page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
vpersh

Post by vpersh »

Has anybody come up with an app for a blind person to study the Book of Mormon? I'm trying to find something for a blind member of our ward to be able to tell seri what chapter and verse he wants to read and be able to listen to that chapter.

Surely some clever person has done this!!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

vpersh wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:41 pm Has anybody come up with an app for a blind person to study the Book of Mormon? I'm trying to find something for a blind member of our ward to be able to tell seri what chapter and verse he wants to read and be able to listen to that chapter.

Surely some clever person has done this!!
The Church has produced a "Gospel Voice" app/skill/action for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... e?lang=eng

Unfortunately, Apple does not have an equivalent platform for creating stand-alone voice apps for Siri – so Gospel Voice doesn't exist for Siri. Instead, voice features would need to be built into the regular Gospel Library mobile app, and from there it could extend to Siri and Apple Shortcuts. You could send it as a feature request using the in-app feedback in Gospel Library.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I phoned a friend. Her response:
The gospel library app has audio versions of the book of Mormon. Also you can use the Alexa/Google gospel voice. It depends on if they want to read braille. Lots of different options out there. There’s also Braille and audio files available on the resources page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”