MLS access - question

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jglanfield

MLS access - question

Post by jglanfield »

I found this:

"Who May Use MLS? Bishopric members, the executive secretary, the ward clerk and assistant clerks, and priesthood and auxiliary leaders and their secretaries may be given access to MLS. It is important that all MLS users are assigned the correct access rights according to their callings."

I'm assuming that this includes ward mission leaders? Should they have access?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jglanfield wrote:I'm assuming that this includes ward mission leaders? Should they have access?

I think it's important to read the instructions on who may have access. The only report I can think of that would be of interest to the WML is the "New Member Report". As long as he can get that report on a timely basis, I'm not sure as there is any great need for personal access to MLS. How the ward chooses to get the report to the WML is up to them. Given the long line of people who need to use the computer on a Sunday, it might be more efficient for everyone if the membership clerk runs off that report on a monthly basis and sticks it into the WML's mail slot.

So my personal answer your question: May - probably. Should - iffy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

As a former WML I can think of lots of reasons that MLS data can be helpful to support full-time missionaries and ward missionaries, arrange baptisms, coordinate investigators and fellowshippers, etc. Some of those reasons involve direct access to MLS itself, and hopefully to the leader portal of lds.org someday. Some other purposes would involve custom reports or exported data. It can actually take some of the burden off the clerks to have the WML get up-to-date directories, etc., for the full time missionaries -- who live in an alternate universe without much computer access themselves. As for what level of MLS privilege the leader gets, I believe the bishop is the gatekeeper.
twmorga

Where did you see that

Post by twmorga »

jglanfield wrote:I found this:

"Who May Use MLS? Bishopric members, the executive secretary, the ward clerk and assistant clerks, and priesthood and auxiliary leaders and their secretaries may be given access to MLS. It is important that all MLS users are assigned the correct access rights according to their callings."

I'm assuming that this includes ward mission leaders? Should they have access?
Where did you see the answer to this question? Our stake said that only Aux Presidents can have access. I would love to give it to Secretaries if I can find that they are allowed in the handbook.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

twmorga wrote:Where did you see the answer to this question? Our stake said that only Aux Presidents can have access. I would love to give it to Secretaries if I can find that they are allowed in the handbook.
See this post for the quote and its source. It's also in the MLS Software Manual (which is now the official help system for MLS) here.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

RossEvans wrote:As a former WML I can think of lots of reasons that MLS data can be helpful to support full-time missionaries and ward missionaries, arrange baptisms, coordinate investigators and fellowshippers, etc. Some of those reasons involve direct access to MLS itself, and hopefully to the leader portal of lds.org someday. Some other purposes would involve custom reports or exported data. It can actually take some of the burden off the clerks to have the WML get up-to-date directories, etc., for the full time missionaries -- who live in an alternate universe without much computer access themselves. As for what level of MLS privilege the leader gets, I believe the bishop is the gatekeeper.

My memory is foggy on this but I recall researching access to reports for my bishop years ago. The request for a MLS Ward Directory (with most of the sensitive info) was from the full-time missionaries. I wasn't comfortable with that and asked the bishop. We looked into it and determined that they were authorized to have the published ward directory (names, addresses, and phone numbers). We also determined that the WML could have the sensitive report and could share needed information with the missionaries but could not give them the actual printed report. Now the disclaimers - I don't remember where we found that policy and it could very well have changed since then.

Bottom line for me at least is that MLS access should be kept at the minimum level needed for the ward to function efficiently. And, IMO, you are correct that the Bishop is the gatekeeper. I know in my ward the EQ, HP, and RS secretaries have access so they can record the home teaching/visiting teaching stats. Other auxiliary presidents and WML don't have access at all. The membership clerk prints the rolls and any other reports they need.
znauga

MLS User Rights

Post by znauga »

See pages 25 and 26 for user rights.

Click the check box next to the set of rights to MLS that this user will have.
• Admin—Bishop and ward clerk
• Finance—Clerk assigned finances, bishopric members
• Edit Membership—clerk assigned to membership records
• View Membership—Bishopric members
• Organization—Bishopric members, auxiliary and quorum leaders, and
secretaries.
• View Recommends—Bishop, bishopric members, and ward clerk
• Edit Recommends—(Stake only) Stake presidency members, stake clerk, and other clerks assigned to activate or edit temple recommend information.

Because Membership records are confidential (not even members are allowed to see their own record) auxiliary leaders and secretaries are limited to "Organization" rights.

Ron Zaret

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”