Leadership Training Broadcast Length

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
craiggsmith

Leadership Training Broadcast Length

Post by craiggsmith »

We have to show tomorrow's leadership training broadcast in another building as basketball is scheduled in the stake center. So I recorded a session tonight. Unfortunately the very end is cut off so I've scheduled another recording tonight using a lower quality mode.

I now remember that I had this same problem last time. I guess it's not a big deal to use a lower quality mode as the broadcast is already very low quality, but I don't want to make it worse. It's just that when they say two hours I didn't plan on it going over; general conference always finishes early.

And since a standard DVD in standard record mode can handle 2 hours that is ideal, and it would be nice if it were kept under that with a little buffer before and after to boot. It's not practical to expect a DVD recorder's clock to be in sync with the church's clock to the very second; mine started only about 23 seconds early. It actually appears the program might be a little longer than 2 hours, as they hadn't had a closing prayer or anything yet when it cut off.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yeah, I've noticed they're real punctual for events like General Conference. Perhaps it's because many are watching via public access channels that will cut off on the hour. But when the broadcast is "closed" like this leadership training, it can run a bit long. In this case it's 124.5 minutes or so.

Fortunately, the DVD recorder given to us by FM Group has a "Flexible Record" speed where I just set the start/stop time and it figures out the bit rate to full the disk. Lucky for me I set it at 2:05, so I got everything. Unfortunately, the first minute of video has no audio. Try, try again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks; at least I feel better knowing I'm in good company. I guess I'll record future events about 10 minutes long to cover myself.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Well, the one I recorded last night -- the midnight MST broadcast -- has apparent reception issues. Intermittent satellite signal during the 2nd hour. So we had to use the cut-off version for our 6 am session. I recorded that session and it seems to be OK. 3rd time's the charm!
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:the midnight MST broadcast -- has apparent reception issues.

That's the one that was missing audio for about the first 70 seconds. Since I had audio before and after, it seems unlikely to be a problem at my end. Now I'll have to review it for reception errors.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggraham

Post by ggraham »

I agree, that 2 hrs and 5 mins threw me off and I had to try again.

Is there an e-mail distribution list that we can sign up for to know when these broadcasts will occur? We used to receive paper copies of the schedules from the Stake Presidency. My reason is that if I had know ahead of time that there were multiple broadcasts staring Friday afternoon I could have recorded a clean version to DVD ahead of time for our Stake Presidency to watch at their convenience Sat morning prior to our Stake Conf this weekend. Thx.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ggraham wrote:Is there an e-mail distribution list that we can sign up for to know when these broadcasts will occur? We used to receive paper copies of the schedules from the Stake Presidency. My reason is that if I had know ahead of time that there were multiple broadcasts staring Friday afternoon I could have recorded a clean version to DVD ahead of time for our Stake Presidency to watch at their convenience Sat morning prior to our Stake Conf this weekend. Thx.

Your stake president should still be receiving the broadcast instructions well before any broadcast.

But regardless of whether he forwards those instructions on to you, you can always monitor http://broadcastinfo.lds.org to get all the details on upcoming broadcasts. I know of no mechanism for you being notified when new information appears there, but it shouldn't be hard to review that page in advance of any major broadcasts.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marcporter

Post by marcporter »

Just thought I would nod in agreement. I too had to record it twice because of the extended time. What would be really cool is if we could download an ISO of the broadcast the night before so we don't have to record the satellite transmission at all.

Return to “General Discussions”