Cannot start MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
fisher_moraes

Cannot start MLS

Post by fisher_moraes »

Hello.
I´m having problems with MLS. It just doesn't start anymore.
I double click the icon, the splash screens appears and nothing more.
I have already awaited for about 10 minutes to see if something happens but no deal.
Any ideas of how this can be fixed? Seems that an update have taken place today, just before this problem started.
I'm using win xp.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

If an update was downloaded, you might try shutting down Windows, turning off the computer, and then restarting the computer (i.e. rebooting).

The download site still shows MLS 3.3.0 as the most current version, so I think it is unlikely that the download might have been for MLS 3.3.1 (which is due to be released soon).

Could it be that you were still on MLS 3.2.4, and MLS 3.3.0 was pushed down to your system? If so, you might want to try reinstalling MLS. Here are instructions for MLS installation and repair. Personally, I'd try the Basic Installation instructions first.
fisher_moraes

Post by fisher_moraes »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have already rebooted and even shutdown the pc.
The same thing happens.
Is there any log file that I can confirm this update?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I don't think finding a log file to confirm the update would make much difference because:

1. If you were on MLS 3.2.4 you need to upgrade to MLS 3.3.0 anyway, so installing MLS 3.3.0 shouldn't hurt anything.

2. If MLS 3.3.1 was pushed down to your computer early, it is supposed to be a minor update so I don't think there would be a problem with reinstalling MLS 3.3.0, and then installing MLS 3.3.1 after it gets released.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

For past versions of MLS, especially version 3.2.3, if the computer was not rebooted after a patch update there were reports that MLS would only display the startup splash screen but would not start. In every case reported on these forums the solution was to do a complete install using the installer found at mls.lds.org. For your situation, even though MLS may not have been updated by a download patch I suspect the solution to do a complete install as jbhoo1 has suggested will the job.
fisher_moraes wrote:Is there any log file that I can confirm this update?
You can see what version was loaded the last time MLS opened by viewing the mlslog.txt file. The directory for WindowsXP is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data; for Windows7 it is C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fisher_moraes

Post by fisher_moraes »

So, looks like I'll need to talk to my steak's president. As I know, there's no TI staff on our steak, so, no one is able to download the MLS. Maybe if there is a secretary that does that I may not known. The guy who installed MLS the first time have moved to other city, maybe I should ask him for help... Thank you very much!
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Someone else reported that they got updated to MLS 3.3.1 today, but the download site does not yet have it available.
fisher_moraes

Post by fisher_moraes »

Problem solved!!
My bishop needed to talk to a guy in Sao Paulo.
This guy sent him the installer via e-mail.
Reinstalled and everything is fine now.
Looks like an update have taken place after the other bishop used the mls.
We did not restarted before opening it again and the problem was created.
Many thanks for all who helped!!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”