Email Address on Front Page

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
r2d2rice

Email Address on Front Page

Post by r2d2rice »

Since anyone who is an administrator is familiar with the problem of bad Email address, I have a couple of suggestions.

1. It would be nice if an administrator could correct a bad Email address, but I can understand if that is not allowed.
2. However, we should be able to flag an Email address as bad, so that it is not used until it is corrected.
3. An individual's current Email Address should be displayed on the first page they see as they log on, with the ability to change if it is wrong.
4. If the administrator has flagged the Email address as bad, that notation should also appear on the first screen so that the user will recognize that their Email needs to either be corrected or removed.

Any or all of the above suggestions would make the administrator's life much easier.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

r2d2rice wrote:Since anyone who is an administrator is familiar with the problem of bad Email address, I have a couple of suggestions.

1. It would be nice if an administrator could correct a bad Email address, but I can understand if that is not allowed.
2. However, we should be able to flag an Email address as bad, so that it is not used until it is corrected.
3. An individual's current Email Address should be displayed on the first page they see as they log on, with the ability to change if it is wrong.
4. If the administrator has flagged the Email address as bad, that notation should also appear on the first screen so that the user will recognize that their Email needs to either be corrected or removed.

Any or all of the above suggestions would make the administrator's life much easier.
Those would be nice features for admins. Users can change their email address by logging in to the luws and then clicking on the "update profile" link at the top right.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Another suggestion I have is if an admin flags an email as "bad" then the user is forced to their profile page on log-in and it not allowed to exit until the email situation is resolved.
srweight

You are right!

Post by srweight »

RussellHltn wrote:Another suggestion I have is if an admin flags an email as "bad" then the user is forced to their profile page on log-in and it not allowed to exit until the email situation is resolved.

Some way to force correction would really help. I have a member of the High Council that has had a wrong email address for two years. (comn instead of com) and I can't get him to change it.

This really is a problem to us STSs because when you do an email broadcast and get 150 bad email addresses it makes it a real mess with all of the returned as undeliverable emails. it's just easier to send them all to the junk mail folder than to try to start cleaning them up by contacting each person via phone or in person and asking them to correct it.

I really think that admin being able to flag the email as needing correction, and there by forcing user attention to it is a wonderful idea. Most users don't pay attention to the "User Update" button on the top of the screen unless they have a need.

:D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This has probably been mentioned before, but something else I'd like to see is some kind of email alias when sending from the website. As it stands now, the emails all go out with the name of the administrator that approved the message. How many rank-and-file members know the name of the stake executive secretary?

Rather then showing as his name, it should be something that tells the user that it's from LUWS. Maybe something like "Happy Vally Stake" or "Stake webpage" or something. The "return to" field can have the amin's email so replies go to the right place.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Along with an "alias" of sorts for the from email, I'd like to be able to put in a different email for users to reply to than my personal email in my profile. As an admin, I'd like the ability to create another email box for my web admin activity and use that one instead, just the flexibility to use an email different from my profile email. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:Another suggestion I have is if an admin flags an email as "bad" then the user is forced to their profile page on log-in and it not allowed to exit until the email situation is resolved.
One added detail - the ability to list emails in alphabetical order. That's so you can find the user whose email has bounced. Because when the email addy is "happy2gether" that doesn't give you much of a clue. Yes, I can track it down by looking at the registered users, but as a stake admin I have to look in each ward to find them.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Not allow them to exit, meaning that you do not allow them access to other pages until they resolve it or prevent them from closing their browser and leaving the page altogether? (hard but possible in most circumstances)

Also would you deny them access until they get a verification email and hit the response link in the email or just so it doesn't bounce?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Not allow them to exit, meaning that you do not allow them access to other pages until they resolve it
That's what I was thinking of. Keeping in mind that no email is a valid resolution.

Validation of email would be good. I've seen at least one bad email that was clearly a typo. (they misspelled ".com") At minimum use double-entry.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

That's a great idea. I have reminded a number of people multiple times to please update their email address and few ever do. If something such as this were to be put into place, then it would give the user a much stronger reason to update their email address.

Also, for those people who had email at the time they registered on the webpage, but for whatever reason, they don't have email any longer, it would be good for the admins to be able to check a box that would remove that person from the email feature or notifications sent from the webpage, and also to not allow their email address to show. There are other boxes that the admins can check to say don't show this person's address, phone number, etc, so if we could have the email included, that would be a help.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”