Switch MLS Language

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rothrube-p40

Switch MLS Language

Post by rothrube-p40 »

I was recently called to serve as a Spanish Branch clerk. The MLS system is in Spanish. I would like to know if there is a way to view MLS in English for my use, but maintain Spanish for the all other users of the branch. Is there an option or solution to this?

Maybe this could be a idea for an updated version of MLS an option to change the language by using a drop down menu.

I am fluent in Spanish (more so now, than the mission). I just was wondering if there was an easier way of maintaining records by viewing them in my native language.
bhm014

Post by bhm014 »

You can check the following link. It shows how to change the language in MLS but I'm not sure if you can keep 2 languages at the same time.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?l ... 94610aRCRD
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lh014 wrote:You can check the following link. It shows how to change the language in MLS but I'm not sure if you can keep 2 languages at the same time.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?l ... 94610aRCRD
The same information is available at the wiki article "Changing the language setting in MLS". You can use that information to manually change the language setting of MLS before you open it. You can also create a batch file to change the language settings and open MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rothrube wrote:I would like to know if there is a way to view MLS in English for my use, but maintain Spanish for the all other users of the branch. Is there an option or solution to this?
Here is a sample batch file to automate this change. Just copy the contents below into a file called "mlslang.bat". Then you can create two shortcuts to MLS; one that runs "mlslang es" and another that runs "mlslang en".

Code: Select all

@echo off
if "%1"=="en" goto :doit
if "%1"=="es" goto :doit

echo Usage: mlslang en (to change to English)
echo        mlslang es (to change to Spanish)
goto :end

:doit

c:
cd \Program Files\LDS Church\MLS
find /V "Language=" mls.properties > mls1.tmp
echo Language=%1 > mls2.tmp
copy mls1.tmp+mls2.tmp mls.properties > nul
echo MLS language changed to "%1"

:end
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

what I did was create a file for each language

for English MLS.properties.en
for Spanish MLS.properties.es

then i use the attached file to change languages (remove the .txt extension to use) this method makes it easy to change to any number of languages easily.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kd7mha wrote:what I did was create a file for each language

for English MLS.properties.en
for Spanish MLS.properties.es

then i use the attached file to change languages (remove the .txt extension to use) this method makes it easy to change to any number of languages easily.
Although that could work in the short term, you're essentially making the assumption that the MLS.properties files doesn't change, since you are taking the MLS.properties file as it exists at one point in time and preserving that static file for all time. That's not a safe assumption. That's why my batch file takes care to preserve everything except the one "Language=" line.

Of course, it would not be difficult to combine the two approaches; if you like your UI, you could incorporate my technique for preserving the file contents into it.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

I have a related but different problem. I am clerk in a mixed language branch. We are mostly English speaking but have several active Spanish speaking only members. It would be nice to be able to print out IOS forms, tithing report forms, etc in Spanish when I need to give them to those members. I do not speak Spanish and neither does any of the branch presidency, so switching MLS to Spanish would work, but with a fair amount of difficulty.

What I have done in that past, is have someone translate the document for the Spanish speaking member when I give it to them. This is far from ideal.

Any suggestions?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

GBarton wrote:I have a related but different problem. I am clerk in a mixed language branch. We are mostly English speaking but have several active Spanish speaking only members. It would be nice to be able to print out IOS forms, tithing report forms, etc in Spanish when I need to give them to those members. I do not speak Spanish and neither does any of the branch presidency, so switching MLS to Spanish would work, but with a fair amount of difficulty.

What I have done in that past, is have someone translate the document for the Spanish speaking member when I give it to them. This is far from ideal.

Any suggestions?

The two things that I can see are:
  1. Go into MLS in English and write down each step (which menu item by location instead of text) to get to the IOS. Then you can switch MLS to Spanish and go in following your recorded steps. With this method you only would have to record the steps once and keep them in a document on the computer for future use.
  2. Have the person that normally translates the document for you sit with you while you navigate MLS in Spanish so they can help you choose the right menus.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

GBarton wrote:It would be nice to be able to print out IOS forms, tithing report forms, etc in Spanish when I need to give them to those members.
For some forms, including the IOS that you mentioned, you can print them in any language, regardless of the language MLS is running in. Just use the Language drop down in the upper right corner of the screen. This also works for everything in the Forms/Certificates area under Reports/Forms.

For others, such as all financial reports, there is no Language dropdown. So you would have to change the MLS language as described earlier, and navigate to the right screen as Ryan Jones recommended.
larryankay

Post by larryankay »

I am on a mission in Mexico and now in the local District Presidency. The problem is they have no branch clerks in any of the 4 branches of our district. I do not speak any spanish and they speak little english. non of the branches are keeping their records up to date. I am willing to help in this but I need to change the MLS to english so I can understand the menus. What is the simple way to do this. The link mentioned before no longer works and I can not go in and change a "batch file" even if I knew where it was. Just keep it simple and I can do it. Email me directly if possible at larryankay@gmail.com Thanks for any help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”