None Conflicting Calendar Events (Building Cleaning Calendar)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mesmith

None Conflicting Calendar Events (Building Cleaning Calendar)

Post by mesmith »

I have seen this in the calendar, but I think I just don't have the rights to create an all day event that will not conflict with other events.

Here is what we are trying to do. We want to put the building cleaning calendar on the new lds.org calendar. I want it to show as an all day event from Sun-Sat for our building. I just don't want it to conflict with any other calendar events. I have seen multiple all day events on a single day, like FHE and a holiday. I know making a none conflicting event flies in the face of the scheduling aspect of the calendar.

Any suggestions on how I can show this without locking up the entire calendar for anyone else?
Sincerely,
Marion Smith
Ward Executive Secretary
Nampa 27th Ward
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mesmith wrote:I have seen this in the calendar, but I think I just don't have the rights to create an all day event that will not conflict with other events.

Here is what we are trying to do. We want to put the building cleaning calendar on the new lds.org calendar. I want it to show as an all day event from Sun-Sat for our building. I just don't want it to conflict with any other calendar events. I have seen multiple all day events on a single day, like FHE and a holiday. I know making a none conflicting event flies in the face of the scheduling aspect of the calendar.

Any suggestions on how I can show this without locking up the entire calendar for anyone else?
You will only have a conflict if you actually reserve the building by specifying resources or the whole location. Unfortunately, there's no way to specify the building without specifying at least one resource.

So there are two reasonable solutions that I can see:
  1. Create a custom resource that is something like "Building Cleaning." Then you can specify that resource for this event, and no one else will schedule that resource during the times you specify, so you won't have a conflict (and you won't tie up any resource that anyone else wants). If you don't have permission to create custom resources, ask the building scheduler or a calendar approver to do that for you.
  2. Choose "Other Location" for the location of the event. That way no resources will be reserved. Then in the Location Details field, specify "Elm Street Building" or whatever will clearly identify the building to your stake members.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mesmith

Post by mesmith »

I did try suggestion 2. However, there are several stake events at that location, so I got a conflict there.

I think the right way to go is idea 1. Which calling/person would ordinarily have the rights to add a location?

I didn't see anyway to add an event without a location, is that right? My only hope is to have a location called Seneca Ward Building Cleaning, I think.
Sincerely,
Marion Smith
Ward Executive Secretary
Nampa 27th Ward
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mesmith wrote:I did try suggestion 2. However, there are several stake events at that location, so I got a conflict there.

I think the right way to go is idea 1. Which calling/person would ordinarily have the rights to add a location?

I didn't see anyway to add an event without a location, is that right? My only hope is to have a location called Seneca Ward Building Cleaning, I think.
You CAN add an event and then specify "Other Location", then follow up by putting the location of the event into the description of the event itself. This would at least get your calendar date onto the calendar.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mesmith wrote:I did try suggestion 2. However, there are several stake events at that location, so I got a conflict there.
I don't think you were looking at the right place. It's impossible to get an actual conflict when the location is "Other Location." You may see potential conflicts, but no hard conflicts that would prevent you from saving the event.
mesmith wrote:I think the right way to go is idea 1. Which calling/person would ordinarily have the rights to add a location?
Any stake calendar approver (which would be the stake presidency, any stake clerk, or stake executive secretary, or stake website administrator) or an assigned building scheduler for the building can add custom resources.
mesmith wrote:I didn't see anyway to add an event without a location, is that right?

You do have to have some location, but as I mentioned before, you can choose the location "Other Location" and then it won't reserve any location or resource.
mesmith wrote:My only hope is to have a location called Seneca Ward Building Cleaning, I think.

You can't have a location named that -- a location is almost always a building. But a location can contain any number of resources, and someone with the right permissions can add a resource (that could simply be "Building Cleaning") to the "Seneca Ward Building" location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mesmith

Post by mesmith »

I got it to work with the Other Location. What I noticed this time was, once I got a conflict message for one even, that message never really cleared. I am running Firefox on Linux and that may be the cause of the error. I just don't know. But I do now have my building cleaning schedule on the calendar using Other Location and I am very satisfied. Thanks for all the work that went into the new calendar. It looks great and should be very helpful. I look forward to being able to report my home teaching through the web.
Sincerely,
Marion Smith
Ward Executive Secretary
Nampa 27th Ward

Return to “Calendar”