New Calender not allowing me to create repeating events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
morts

New Calender not allowing me to create repeating events

Post by morts »

I am trying to add repeating events to the new calender and I am not able to make that happen. I read where you can do that in the help menu but it doesn't appear to function for me any ideas thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

morts wrote:I am trying to add repeating events to the new calender and I am not able to make that happen. I read where you can do that in the help menu but it doesn't appear to function for me any ideas thanks
Could you supply some more details? I assume you can create single events, since you mentioned only repeating events. The procedure is that you would then check the "Repeats" check box, choose the frequency (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly) and then specify options for that frequency. Are you seeing those options? When you choose those options and then check for conflicts, do you see any error messages? The basic procedure is described in the help system under Scheduling Events.

When you create a repeating event, the chances increase quite a bit that you will get a conflict. Are you making sure that there are no hard conflicts on resources? If you get a hard resource conflict, you will be told that you can't schedule the event. Are you seeing that message after you click the "Check for Conflicts" button?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
morts

morts

Post by morts »

I think that I found the problem. I am a die hard Firefox user and the all day option and the repeating option do not show up in that browser so I will use Internet Explorer for my calanders
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

morts wrote:I think that I found the problem. I am a die hard Firefox user and the all day option and the repeating option do not show up in that browser so I will use Internet Explorer for my calanders
I am a Firefox user as well, but I've never had any problem seeing the All Day and Repeat checkboxes for calendar events. I can't explain why you wouldn't see them, but if you've found a way to accomplish what you need to do with IE, then I guess that's okay.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dr12dave

Post by dr12dave »

The most common cause for not being able to setup the activity as a Repeating Event is that you have popups blocked on the browser or for that particular site. Allow popups and it will work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr12dave wrote:The most common cause for not being able to setup the activity as a Repeating Event is that you have popups blocked on the browser or for that particular site. Allow popups and it will work.
That was true for the old calendar, but not a factor for the new calendar, which does not use popups for repeating events.
dr12dave

Post by dr12dave »

I concur with Mort in the original question. THIS IS 10 MONTHS LATER. I can't do repeating events either. Was trying to put Family Home Evening event every Monday. Date range was correct Jan 1, 2012 to Dec 31, 2012, Monday is the only box checked, selected End Date and put Dec 31, 2012.

IT PUTS FAMILY HOME EVENING IN EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR!~
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dr12dave wrote:I concur with Mort in the original question.
I'm pretty sure Mort had a different problem -- he had browser issues that prevented him from even seeing the repeating event options; you can see them just fine.
dr12dave wrote:Date range was correct Jan 1, 2012 to Dec 31, 2012, Monday is the only box checked, selected End Date and put Dec 31, 2012.

Although the interface is admittedly a bit confusing, I'm pretty sure that you're seeing the result of the event being on every day of the year because the calendar system thinks that is what you asked for.

When you do a repeating event, the "End" date does not specify when the repeat ends. Rather, it specifies how long the event is. A separate field over on the right hand side labeled "End Date" specifies the end of the repeating range.

So if you want an event to be on every Monday, lasting for just one day, starting on January 1, then you specify:
  • Start: 1 Jan 2012
  • End: 1 Jan 2012 (this is the key -- specify the same as the start date if you want the event to last just one day)
  • Repeat: Weekly, check Monday box, specify End Date of 31 Dec 2012.
If you instead specify an "End" of 31 Dec 2012, then the calendar system thinks you are asking for a 366-day long event, which repeats every week, starting each Monday. That will obviously result in the event happening on every day.

So the bottom line is: change your "End" date to be 1 Jan 2012, and all should be well (don't change the "End Date" in the repeating section -- that should remain at 31 Dec 2012).

Return to “Calendar”