Paying Phone Bill for Canadian Unit, member of US Stake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mschlechter

Paying Phone Bill for Canadian Unit, member of US Stake

Post by mschlechter »

I am not sure if this the best forum for this...

We are a US Stake and have one unit that is actually in Canada, the long standing procedure to pay the phone bills for this unit is this:

The Canadian Branch receives and pays the phone bill locally.
They then send a copy of the bill to the Stake.
The Stake then sends a reimbursement check (in US dollars) calculating the exchange rate at the time of reimbursement as closely as possible.
The Branch then deposits that check into their "Other" account so that it is converted into Canadian funds.

Is there a more efficient way to handle this situation? I assume only Stakes have access to the "Reimburse Local Phone Line" account for the appropriate checks? Can the phone expense be set up on a direct bill to CHQ? How is it done for other purely Canadian Units and can that be adapted in this case?
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

All of our units are in Canada, however when the phone provider changes for one of the units, we (the stake) simply call up the provider and ask them to bill the stake directly. I wonder if that would work in your case? If the Canadian provider would do that, you could pay the bill in the normal manner from the "reimbursable" account.
mschlechter

Post by mschlechter »

Freedom55 wrote:All of our units are in Canada, however when the phone provider changes for one of the units, we (the stake) simply call up the provider and ask them to bill the stake directly. I wonder if that would work in your case? If the Canadian provider would do that, you could pay the bill in the normal manner from the "reimbursable" account.

That is how all the other phone bills are handled in our Stake, but being a Canadian phone company for this particular unit, I do not think they would accept a check on US funds. Though I have not asked them about that....

Return to “Local Unit Finance”