Transfer across major categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Transfer across major categories

Post by wrigjef »

Just did a bunch of transfers on one of the ward systems to help their clerk prepare for a 2011 budget. Their ward had a missionary deficit and the stake wrote them a check to cancel it out. It was mistakenly put in a budget category and I found that contrary to some things I have read here, I could not transfer from budget to other or ward missionary.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

nope - you have to do that manually on a transfer form - or contact your local finance office directly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Just did a bunch of transfers on one of the ward systems to help their clerk prepare for a 2011 budget. Their ward had a missionary deficit and the stake wrote them a check to cancel it out. It was mistakenly put in a budget category and I found that contrary to some things I have read here, I could not transfer from budget to other or ward missionary.
I know a couple of people have talked about transfers across major categories, but as far as I can recall, such misinformation has been promptly corrected in a subsequent post. Occasionally people will casually mention transferring money from Budget to Other, but they actually mean that the unit writes a check from Budget to itself, then deposits that check into Other.

However, in this particular case (and many similar ones) the correct action is not a transfer, but is a correction of the original transaction. If you write a check from Budget and it should be from Other, you don't transfer from Other to Budget to fix it, but rather you go to that expense and change the category. Similarly, if a donation was credited to the wrong account, you need to go into the appropriate donation batch, find the donation, and change the category.

Behind the scenes, this will have the effect of creating a transfer, but it's a special internal transfer which you are unable to do directly by using the Enter Transfer feature of MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dannykos wrote:nope - you have to do that manually on a transfer form - or contact your local finance office directly.
That instruction may work in the UK, but note that the post was made by someone in the USA, where we don't have a transfer form, and we are not supposed to contact CHQ Finance for such items.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'll have to keep the change donations/expenses background transfer in mind for next time. I just instructed the clerk to write checks from one category and deposit them into the correct one.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

aebrown wrote:That instruction may work in the UK, but note that the post was made by someone in the USA, where we don't have a transfer form, and we are not supposed to contact CHQ Finance for such items.
my bad. sucks for you guys in the states then!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”