Sophos install for Windows 7 ?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
marmat

Sophos install for Windows 7 ?

Post by marmat »

I recently installed two new computers OptiPlex 580 with Windows 7. Everything appears to be OK, with exception of Sophos. I installed the build that is available on mls.lds.org and it doesn't appear to have even installed correctly.

Is it me, or is the installer old? Anything I should do now to ensure some form of AV is on these computers? Microsoft Security Essentials?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

marmat wrote:I recently installed two new computers OptiPlex 580 with Windows 7. Everything appears to be OK, with exception of Sophos. I installed the build that is available on mls.lds.org and it doesn't appear to have even installed correctly.

Is it me, or is the installer old? Anything I should do now to ensure some form of AV is on these computers? Microsoft Security Essentials?
You are the first to mention a problem with Sophos on the computers running Windows 7. What do you mean that it doesn't appear to have been installed correctly? Is it not functioning? Do you get any error messages? Are the system tray icons not there? Do you not see the Sophos processes running in the Task Manager?

According to Sophos their October 2009 release of Sophos was Windows 7 compatible. The release on the MLS download site is a 22 December 2009 release. I would expect it to be Windows 7 compatible. There have been many others running Windows 7 computers on administrative computers for several months now and we have heard no complaints. I can only presume they have loaded Sophos and have no problems.

Have you tried to uninstall Sophos and reinstall it using another download of the installer? It is possible the installer you used may have been corrupted - remote, but possible.

Of course you could contact LUS. When you do, ask them to verify that the installer on the MLS download site is Windows 7 compatible.

Do not install any other antivirus software other than Sophos. It is the approved Church provided software.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I just installed Sophos on a test machine running Windows 7 and it appeared to install correctly. Immediately following the install it will download an update. This can take a few minutes. When done, it will request a reboot. Following the reboot it will begin a major update download, which took over 30 minutes for me. (You can watch a progress bar by right-clicking on the Sophos shield and selecting "View updating status".) Until this last update completes, the Windows 7 "Action Center" will constantly complain that the anti-virus software needs attention. No worries. Following the last update, this goes away.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marmat

Post by marmat »

Thanks, I will try to re-install it. Not sure what happened, but on 2 different 580s it doesn't even show up in Add/Remove Programs, and I know I launched the installer from the mls.lds.org version there.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

marmat wrote:Thanks, I will try to re-install it. Not sure what happened, but on 2 different 580s it doesn't even show up in Add/Remove Programs, and I know I launched the installer from the mls.lds.org version there.
Clear the temp directory before trying to do another install. Left over files from the first install attempt could cause the same problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bwillden

Sophos install for Windows 7

Post by bwillden »

Just a thought, I tried to install Sophos on a PC that already had a different anti-virus software. It failed, and at first I couldn't tell why. On a subsequent install, or I found an error file, I don't recall which, but there was an error that it couldn't un-install the other anti-virus program. You may have hit something similar.
jedware

Missing Sophos Firewall

Post by jedware »

I have installed on Windows 7 and the Sophos AV installs correctly and updates but I don't see an icon for the Sophos firewall.

Does this not get installed for Windows 7?

I have seen this question asked in other threads but no one if confirming if only the AV installs for Windows 7.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The Sophos package from mls.lds.org does not include the Sophos firewall.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:The Sophos package from mls.lds.org does not include the Sophos firewall.
Upon what do you base this statement? I have installed the Sophos package from mls.lds.org multiple times, and have always gotten the Sophos firewall as well as anti-virus. All my installs have been on WinXP, so I can't comment on how Sophos is installed on Win7, but the firewall is definitely part of the installation package (and it hasn't changed since 22 Dec 2009, if the text of the Local Unit Security Software page on mls.lds.org can be trusted).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:Upon what do you base this statement?
Based on a trial install on a Windows 7 x64 machine in a virtual environment about 1.5 years ago. After this host machine is done rebuilding a RAID array (perhaps tomorrow sometime) I'll be happy to try it again. I just have a snapshot of that VM to go on and it's definitely using the Windows firewall. It's possible I opted out of the firewall portion of the install, but sense I was testing the install, that wouldn't make much sense. Regardless, I'll post an update tomorrow with fresh test results.

Return to “Clerk Computers”