LDS Account, MRN security, and mobile tools

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
ChrisPadilla

I'm really not understanding

Post by ChrisPadilla »

RussellHltn wrote:And I seem to remember some hints that there might be some financial tie-in in the future. If that's on the drawing board, it would explain what's happening the MRNs now.

Foolproof? I don't think it exists. But I would suggest that a list tucked into the recommend book is likely more secure then having it run around on the Bishopric's smart phones.

As for updating the list, I seem to remember some "minimum time" requirements that have to be met. Otherwise a call to the prior Bishop is in order. So I'd think updating the list each quarter or so would do fine.

What's the big deal with the MRN? Security... from what? The address and phone number are available and if some stalker wanted access to you they're not going to look for your MRN. :mad: I guess it's just my little rant about a decision that's hurting more than it's helping. Anyone out there that really understands the decision, I welcome your input... Not really interested in the, "Brother, that's the way it is" comments...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

chrispadilla wrote:What's the big deal with the MRN? Security... from what? The address and phone number are available and if some stalker wanted access to you they're not going to look for your MRN. :mad: I guess it's just my little rant about a decision that's hurting more than it's helping. Anyone out there that really understands the decision, I welcome your input... Not really interested in the, "Brother, that's the way it is" comments...

The MRN is the key to getting access to the LDS Account for someone. With access to LDS Account you can get access to Family Search for the person which provides personal information like birthdate, mothers maiden name or other information that could be used as security questions for their banking and other financial web sites. The LDS Account for a leader also provides access to similar personal information for all the the members of their unit.

I'd say that there is plenty of harm that someone could do with access to the right LDS Account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chrispadilla wrote:What's the big deal with the MRN? Security... from what?

Security for the member's LDS Account. I believe at some point in the future the LDS Account will have access to financial information. And, legally that will change things. I believe the move in securing the MRN is in preparation in what is to come.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ChrisPadilla

Post by ChrisPadilla »

What about access to the username, password, and email address? Are you saying knowing the MRN also provides access to these three items as well?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

chrispadilla wrote:What about access to the username, password, and email address? Are you saying knowing the MRN also provides access to these three items as well?

The MRN in combination with birthdate will allow anyone to establish an LDS Account. The MRN in combination with confirmation date will allow anyone to hijack an existing LDS Account -- even that of a stake president or bishop, which in turn opens the door to a trove of other confidential data. (Someone posted here the other day that they were able to gain access to an existing LDS Account knowing only the MRN and birthdate, but I don't understand how.) In any case, the LDS Account is key, so it obviously is more sensitive than it used to be. The use of MRNs in LDS Account authentication a known factor today. The idea of accessing financial data by LDS Account in the future seems like speculation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chrispadilla wrote:What about access to the username, password, and email address? Are you saying knowing the MRN also provides access to these three items as well?

I only looked at the first screen, but I see it only asking for the MRN and Birth Date to gain access to a LDS Account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I only looked at the first screen, but I see it only asking for the MRN and Birth Date to gain access to a LDS Account.
That's all that is needed to create an LDS Account, but if you've forgotten your password for an existing LDS Account, and your email no longer works, you can gain access to that account only if you know your MRN and your confirmation date.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ChrisPadilla

Post by ChrisPadilla »

I do see the issue, but I don't think removing that from MLS has the desired effect... I see more paper copies with the MRN floating around the church now... IMHO.

Technically it sounds like more data should be requested that isn't tied to the record for authentication. But, I'm sure those driving the bus have already thought about all that and it's ramifications.

Thanks guys for pointing out some things that I knew but weren't coming to mind this morning.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That's all that is needed to create an LDS Account, but if you've forgotten your password for an existing LDS Account, and your email no longer works, you can gain access to that account only if you know your MRN and your confirmation date.

That's what I remembered, but I checked before I posted (that's how Ross scooped me)

I played dumb and indicted that I had forgotten my LDS Account name. At that point I'm asked for MRN and Birth Date.

That's all the further I went. It's entirely possible I may have to supply more information to take over an account, but that's all that's needed to start the process.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chrispadilla wrote:I see more paper copies with the MRN floating around the church now... IMHO.

I disagree. This was discussed extensively here.

Return to “Church Account”