Is there a report that lists "part-member families?"

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
jordo59

Is there a report that lists "part-member families?"

Post by jordo59 »

The missionaries in our ward are asking me for a report of "part-member families." In other words, one spouse is a member and the other spouse is not and therefore some of the children may be members and others may not be. What is the best way to pull up that list? I went to the action and interview list and that pulls up "unbaptized members." However, that only pulls up people who were blessed as babies, but never baptized. We are also trying to find people that were never blessed as babies, but are living w/ members of the church.

I couldn't find a report for part-member families so I tried creating a custom report for them. I found a criteria in there called "Member Status" with all sorts of values that sound useful such as: Accountable, BIC, Called to a position, confirmed, convert, endowed, In Unit, Is sealed to parents, Is sealed to prior spouse, is member, spouse is member, etc. I used the criteria: "Member status" "is not" "member", thinking that it would pull up all the people in the computer system that were not members. Well, it pulled up nothing. I then intentionally pulled up the record of a family where the wife was a member and the husband was not (for test purposes). I was able to pull up the husband's name by clicking on the "spouse" button on the left side, but then the only info about that person was his name (no record # was recorded for him, which is probably the reason why he did not show up in the custom report). There was a button on the screen called "add person to household." I clicked that button and it made him the head of household. Then, when I went to the custom report I had created, his name was the only name that showed up in the report. So, it occurred to me that if I went through each record in the computer and followed the same steps that I had taken with the test family then maybe my custom report would work correctly...but, before I do all that work, I was hoping someone could tell me an easier way to create this part-member family list.

The other reason I don't want to go through every record and add the non-members to the households is because I don't know if that is a correct thing to do. I don't know if it is correct to have a non-member be a head of a household. I suppose it would be OK if the two individuals are indeed married? But if there is no marriage info recorded I wouldn't know for sure without talking to the people myself.

In summary, my 3 main questions are:

1. "Is there report in MLS that shows a list of all part member families in the ward?"

2. "If not, is there a way to create a custom report that would show this info?"

3. "If so, what criteria would I use in the custom report to make it work?"

thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jordo59 wrote:1. "Is there report in MLS that shows a list of all part member families in the ward?"

2. "If not, is there a way to create a custom report that would show this info?"

3. "If so, what criteria would I use in the custom report to make it work?"

The answer to #1 is no, but question #2 is a yes, and #3 is answered in all the detail you need in the wiki at Part-member families, which has a downloadable custom report, but also explains the exact criteria.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
greggo

Post by greggo »

I realize that it is not required to get the desired list, but I think it should be noted that to appropriately create a non-member record (which jordo59 did with the one example he gave), one is required by policy to get the nonmember's permission.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Also, this is probably obvious to everyone, but if such a part-member list is generated, it may not be accurate. In my ward's case, it would lack several names, because records of many of those with nonmember spouses still show as single.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

greggo wrote:Also, this is probably obvious to everyone, but if such a part-member list is generated, it may not be accurate. In my ward's case, it would lack several names, because records of many of those with nonmember spouses still show as single.
Although your previous post is correct in that you need to get permission in order to create a nonmember record, it is also true that a marriage should be recorded for a member, even if it is to a nonmember, so that the member's status will be correct. Simply recording a marriage does not create a record for the nonmember spouse.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

greggo wrote:In my ward's case, it would lack several names, because records of many of those with nonmember spouses still show as single.

I agree with Alan that those records should be updated, but I know from past experience that is far easier said then done. The underlying issue is that many inactive single members have since married nonmembers. Knowing that they are married is iffy, much less getting the information needed to update the record.

You may want to present Responsibilities for Updating Membership Records at a Ward Council meeting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

RussellHltn wrote:You may want to present Responsibilities for Updating Membership Records at a Ward Council meeting.
Thanks for the document - I will recommend this course to our Bishop. One thing that we have done with some success is to provide a list of singles who are not active to our missionaries. When they are on exchanges and an appointment falls through, they can drop in on the member for a visit. Sometimes we get updates to their information that way. Also, there is a member present for potential future contacts after the missionaries are moved to other assignments.

Return to “Reports and Forms”