Calendar Feature - Event Creation ability to select more than one calendar.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
blainehand

Calendar Feature - Event Creation ability to select more than one calendar.

Post by blainehand »

Example: Let's say you have 4 calendars. Stake Presidency, Stake High Councilors, Stake Relief Society, & Stake Ward Members Calendars. And you want to create an event for a PEC meeting. Those attending this meeting will be the Stake Presidency & Stake High Councilors. Currently I could add this event to the Stake High Councilors Calendar, but the Stake Presidency would not see that event unless they checked on the Stake High Councilors Calendar. I could put this event on the Stake Ward Members Calendar, but why would the Ward Members want to see what the Stake is doing on a leadership level. If I put the PEC Meeting on both the Stake Presidency & Stake High Councilors Calendar, then the event would show up twice for the Stake Presidency members if they had the Stake Presidency & Stake High Councilors Calendars checked on.

Solution: I suggest that when you create the event and then select the calendar, that you have the ability to select more than one calendar for the event. Once the event is created to only show the event once if any of the selected calendars are checked on.

Example: So if this PEC Meeting (event) was for the Stake Presidency & Stake High Councilors Calendar then on the end users side if I was a viewer on both the Stake Presidency & Stake High Councilors Calendar, I would see the PEC Meeting if I had either the Stake Presidency or Stake High Councilors check on or both check on. And I would only see it once not twice.
jggarcia

Post by jggarcia »

+1 on your comment. I posted on a different thread/forum (although you were able to get the point across with fewer words!). Additionally, my comment was that creating more calendars for the different "views" (i.e. single calendar for all the groups you mentioned above) is not the way to go. This makes the system very complex. Events should be stored as events with "links" to the different groups, not associated with a particular calendar. The event would have all information needed (i.e. resources, date, links to calendars, etc.). Then people can select what group's information they want into a single (customized) calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This topic has been discussed before. See thread Events in Multiple Calendars and the thread linked from there.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

jggarcia wrote:+1 on your comment. I posted on a different thread/forum (although you were able to get the point across with fewer words!). Additionally, my comment was that creating more calendars for the different "views" (i.e. single calendar for all the groups you mentioned above) is not the way to go. This makes the system very complex. Events should be stored as events with "links" to the different groups, not associated with a particular calendar. The event would have all information needed (i.e. resources, date, links to calendars, etc.). Then people can select what group's information they want into a single (customized) calendar.

Your idea seems to be the same as this one here: Filters not Calendars

I agree.
blainehand

Post by blainehand »

Yes, that is a great idea to do Filtering instead of Calendar Layering.

Return to “Calendar”