Inactivating Categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cloveland

Inactivating Categories

Post by cloveland »

Following the instructions in preparation for the 3.3.1 update I've cleared my 'old categories' by transfering their balances to Budget Allocations as instructed and dated my transactions 12/31/2010. Now those categories show 2 in 2010 and in 2011. However, all but 2 of them will not inactivate and say there is an outstanding budget.
Being relatively new I looked and found that every category that won't clear has a balance in a prior year (i.e. 2007, 2008...)
What do I do to get those categories to be cleared and then 'inactivate' them?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cloveland wrote:Following the instructions in preparation for the 3.3.1 update I've cleared my 'old categories' by transfering their balances to Budget Allocations as instructed and dated my transactions 12/31/2010. Now those categories show 2 in 2010 and in 2011. However, all but 2 of them will not inactivate and say there is an outstanding budget.
Being relatively new I looked and found that every category that won't clear has a balance in a prior year (i.e. 2007, 2008...)
What do I do to get those categories to be cleared and then 'inactivate' them?
I'm not sure what you mean by "those categories show 2". I'm hoping that's a typo and you meant "zero"; otherwise you won't be able to deactivate any categories with nonzero balances.

But in any case, my first question is if you are on MLS 3.3.0. If you are on an earlier version, you won't be able to deactivate hardly any categories.

Next, when you look at the categories in Add/Update Categories, do you see a red X by the category or a green dot? If it's a red X, then it doesn't matter what the balance is -- you can't deactivate it.

To determine what the balances are, are you running an Income and Expense report, or a Budget Report? Only an Income and Expense report will give you an accurate picture of the actual balance.

Those are some ideas to get you started. If you work through all of those steps and still can't deactivate some categories, then report back on what you tried and what you saw and we'll see what we can do next.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

cloveland wrote:Being relatively new I looked and found that every category that won't clear has a balance in a prior year (i.e. 2007, 2008...) What do I do to get those categories to be cleared and then 'inactivate' them?
Sounds like you used a budget report to determine the balance to transfer. You need to use the I&E report.
cloveland

Post by cloveland »

The "...those categories show 2..." was a result of having re-written my post several times trying to make sense... sry about that. It was supposed to be zero.

I did use the Budget report and not the I&E report. We've never used the I&E report (that I know of) since I've been in my calling for the past 2 years. I'll take a look at the I&E and see what more I need to xfr.

Thx for the quick responses! You guys rock!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”