Duty to God and Personal Progress church web sites

Discussions about other Church websites
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tortdog wrote:I looked at this and do not see my daughter listed for our ward. Is this something that the ward YW leader must "kick start" to begin working? I'm asking 'cuz generally people in my ward look to me to figure out the new tech stuff (exec sec coupled with tech), and I want our ward to start using it but not sure how to help our YW president start.
Your daughter must sign in using her LDS Account and begin using the site before you, your wife, or any member of the YW Presidency can review or approve a value experience or project. More help is found on the FAQs for the site.
tortdog wrote:I also noticed that the DTG site seems to be up and running, and it lets ME add information for MY DTG (apparently), though I am the parent, not the YM. I like that possibility to help men work on DTG for themselves alongside the sons/youth as parents/advisers. But don't see where the parent or leader would "sign off" for the YM.
Your wife will also be able to work on her Personal Progress if she so desires. This is a feature of the Duty to God and Personal Progress sites to permit parents and leaders engage in the same experience and help the youth.

If your household has a young man who has signed in to use the site then you will be able to track his progress just as you would for young women in your household in the Personal Progress site. But until the young man or young woman has signed in they will not be listed and you will not be able to track their progress.
tortdog wrote:Also don't understand how the bishop could review and see the individual progress.
The access for unit leaders is through their LDS Account and their calling as listed in MLS. Leaders not listed using MLS standard positions will not have access to the site as a leader. Parents and leaders will be able to sign off and review once the young man or young woman has signed in to the site and begun to track their progress.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I don't think that the instructions are clear enough to tell parents that the youth need to sign in. On a second read, that makes sense now, but remember that most kids will first be reading this from the parents' account as I assume most kids have not created an LDS Account yet.

Language says:

>To use any of the tracking and journal features online, you must sign in with your LDS Account.

I'd change that to:

>For a Young Woman to use any of the tracking and journal features online, the Young Woman must sign in with her LDS Account.

Pronouns are confusing. Let me know if you (pronoun!) think I should post this via feedback or not. Maybe I'm the strange bird.

>Your daughter must sign in using her LDS Account and begin using the site before you, your wife, or any member of the YW Presidency can review or approve a value experience or project. More help is found on the FAQs for the site.

Is there a location that lists the leaders who have access to the YM/YW progress?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tortdog wrote:Is there a location that lists the leaders who have access to the YM/YW progress?
Check FAQ #11.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I need to stop asking questions . . .
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Okay. We just ran this past our SPcy and Bishopric (the techie guys) and the first question we all hit on is why can't the YM with the priesthood keys monitor members of their own quorum? I couldn't find a FAQ for the DTG and assume it follows the same leadership rights as the YW (adults only).

In our stake, we emphasize that the TQ president hold PPIs with members of his quorum. The TQ secretary should be able to track how the Teachers are doing and the presidency review that. We are trying to get AWAY from the adults doing everything (and leave them as advisers). This whole model seems to go against that.

Note also that in our Stake the SPcy just changed the responsibility of the YW to track the shadow leadership as well. As opposed to the adult YW leaders running things, the YW youth presidencies are tasked with running things. SPcy made the change based on the new CHI2. But the Personal Progress seems to hinder the ability of the YW youth leaders to do so.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tortdog wrote:Okay. We just ran this past our SPcy and Bishopric (the techie guys) and the first question we all hit on is why can't the YM with the priesthood keys monitor members of their own quorum? I couldn't find a FAQ for the DTG and assume it follows the same leadership rights as the YW (adults only).
It is unfortunate that there isn't any help or FAQ for the Duty to God site. I would hope that something is planned and in development. Since both the Duty to God site and the Personal Progress site are not community developed programs there is little information available on how the fully developed sites are intended to function.

I agree that in keeping with leadership responsibilities within both the quorums and classes that the youth leaders should be able to review the progress of their respective quorums and classes. I would most certainly expect it for the quorums since the membership for each quorum is established by way of the priesthood calling recorded in MLS. That would be a bit more programming for the YW class membership since the YW members are not called into the YW program. Regardless, it is possible to be done.

My guess is that the youth leaders will eventually have the review necessary to fulfill their callings sometime in the future. The deployment method, as demonstrated by other sites newly deployed such as the directory and calendar, seems to be to build a usable part of the site and then add capabilities as they are completed.

As you pointed out it would not be in keeping with the Handbook for the youth leaders not to be able fulfill their responsibilities using the online tracking tools when their quorum or class members are using it as their personal method of tracking.
JD Lessley
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I just posted it as feedback. Seems it would be useful for others as well.

I'm more than willing to be patient and am grateful that the Church is rolling things out as they are being developed as opposed to waiting until things are perfect pending a release. I'd rather get something today, then everything all at once who knows when in the future. Already the tools have made it far easier for me to carry out my calling.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

We've also realized that the tracking of the YM by adults (whether parents or leaders) is not setup for DTG, just Personal Progress. But it's a start.
brewerjoseph

Post by brewerjoseph »

Does anyone know if the leader tracking is working for Duty to God?
peredehuit

Post by peredehuit »

[font=&quot] There are no check-off boxes planned for Duty to God. Tracking comes from sharing, which is the premise on which Duty to God is built. Different functionality than Personal Progress. [/font]

Return to “Other Websites”