Ward Website Administrator Directory Privileges

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
charlene1320

Ward Website Administrator Directory Privileges

Post by charlene1320 »

As a Ward Website Administrator, will I eventually have the privileges to add photos in the new directory. So many do not feel comfortable with their computer abilities in uploading images; therefore, will not do it and some have asked me to do theirs. I understand that the heads of households and spouses can edit access at their will.
ericwerny

Post by ericwerny »

I can understand your fears. Ask your Ward Clerk to help you. (We're suppose to be the ward geek) Also don't be afraid to ask your Bishop to find a geek in the Ward to help you. Once you see how it is done, you'll see how easy it is. Also your new calling is a lot of fun. Good Luck!!!

I have been a ward clerk for about ten years now and I remember when I first started I took a big gulp and send to myself..here goes. Even with years as a IT system administrator. So don't feel bad when you look at a function and say to yourself..I am know I am totally going to mess this up. We have all been there. But don't forget you have lots of help from the other side.

It's ok to yell for help!!!

And as to your comment about families being able to edit their profiles that is correct.

I hope I said something meaningful and helpful.

Take Care

Eric W.
charlene1320

Post by charlene1320 »

Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your input and very quick response.
I have been our ward website administrator for a few years. I thought I remembered being able to add photos to families in the old ward website. But it looks like I do not have privileges to do it on the new one. To clarify my question, am I supposed to have this ability now on the new directory or will it be given as the website is more developed in the future? Or am I now "out of that loop"?
There are not really any "techy" people in our ward to ask. They usually ask me questions. I don't have any problems myself in trying to figure things out. I have been a Mac user for about 20 years. I'm just asking for help on this forum because I thought you all would have the experience to give me some insight here. Thanks for any input!
ericwerny

Post by ericwerny »

Let's see where the thread goes. I know as a clerk I have full rights on the new LDS.ORG site. This may have to do with your calling title and if it is authorized to make such changes. You should get a response here. One thing nice about using the forum, you have direct access to the decision makers. If they see a problem they normally look for a resolution. It is just that they have to look at the solution in a global perspective. If it works for one it needs to work for all. I will be checking back to see if you resolved this one.

I am going to ask our Ward Web Site admin. He is a friend of mine and see if he has access to what your taking about.

Again Take Care

Eric W.
charlene1320

Post by charlene1320 »

Thanks, again, Eric!
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I just checked and the standard title for the calling is Website Administrator according to the clerk wiki. Make sure you are listed that way in the MLS. If a variation has been used, that would make it a custom calling and you would not have the access you need. I am not the expert on this but I think this is correct.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

charlene1320 wrote:To clarify my question, am I supposed to have this ability now on the new directory or will it be given as the website is more developed in the future? Or am I now "out of that loop"?
The intent is for ward website administrators to have the rights to edit as well as approve submitted photos in the new directory. You may need to check to make sure your calling in MLS is the standardized "Website Administrator" position. Any other postion such as "Ward Website Administrator" would be a custom postion and you would not be granted the necessary rights. Check with your ward clerk to see whether you have the standard position; and if not, correct it.

I have no way to verify what calling positions have been added to the list to be picture editor/approvers. It is possible that the website administrator has not been added yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ericwerny wrote:One thing nice about using the forum, you have direct access to the decision makers.
We wish this were so, but it is not. For the most part the readers and posters to these forums are just regular members of the community like you and me. There are some Church employees who participate and can be identified by the employee badge avitar below there username. That is not true for all as some elect not to be identified as employees and do not have the employee badge avatar. Whether or not those in position to make decisions even view these forums is unknown. This does not mean that issues raised here do not reach those in positions who can effect change because they do.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
charlene1320

Post by charlene1320 »

Thanks so much, JD Lessley. I do have access to CALENDARS but not DIRECTORY. I'll check with the ward clerk in case it's listed in different areas. Thank you!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

charlene1320 wrote:Thanks so much, JD Lessley. I do have access to CALENDARS but not DIRECTORY. I'll check with the ward clerk in case it's listed in different areas. Thank you!
If you have approver rights on the new calendar site this is achieved in one of two ways. The first is by way of calling as listed in MLS. Those with approver rights by calling are default approvers. The second is to be given approver rights by a default approver. If you have approver rights by calling (default approver) on the calendar site but cannot edit or approve photos at the directory site then the issue is not with your calling as listed in MLS.
JD Lessley

Return to “General Discussions”