2010 Donation Should be in 2011 . . how to?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
danielscott

2010 Donation Should be in 2011 . . how to?

Post by danielscott »

A donor would like their December 31,2010 donation (which was entered for 2010) to apply to the 2011 year.

What is the correct procedure?

Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danielscott wrote:A donor would like their December 31,2010 donation (which was entered for 2010) to apply to the 2011 year.

What is the correct procedure?

As far as I know, there is no procedure because it shouldn't be done. The instructions are very specific that we are to receipt donations in the year they are given. Certainly that message is indisputable for any attempts to back-date a donation made in 2011 as a 2010 donation. I would think that the same rules apply for the other direction. You definitely need to be very careful about doing anything that would violate federal tax rules, and essentially post-dating a 2010 donation seems to have the potential to do that. I would seek guidance from Local Unit Support or from the Church Tax Department.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
danielscott

Post by danielscott »

Understood. This is a check the donor writes monthly, and did not consider the new year when she wrote it and handed it to the bishop on 12/30 and which was processed for the 12/31/2010 batch.

I am a new clerk, would cancellation of the check (with her knowledge) and re-writing another check this week be the best solution??
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danielscott wrote:Understood. This is a check the donor writes monthly, and did not consider the new year when she wrote it and handed it to the bishop on 12/30 and which was process for the 12/31/2010 batch.

I am a new clerk, would cancellation of the check (with her knowledge) and re-writing another check this week be the best solution??
I repeat my advice to be very careful about this. I don't think you should jump into asking how to do this, when there is a definite concern that you should not be doing it at all. What you are proposing is canceling a donation. That is only done when the donation was not really received (e.g., the check was not honored by the bank). But if a donation has been received, it is done and is no longer in the control of the donor. If the donor still has control over the donation, then the charitable status of that donation, and the Church as recipient of that donation, are both in jeopardy.

Really, you should consult the Church Tax Department before you contemplate taking such action.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
danielscott

Post by danielscott »

will do. thanks!
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Couldn't the member put a stop payment on their own check with their own bank? Wouldn't that cause it to not be honored by their bank, and thus it would come back to the ward as a donation that would need to be canceled? Thus effectively achieving what the member wants?

(Again, I'm no tax person, but if I were the one that had donated, I might go this route if I truly wanted to "cancel" my own donation)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathangg wrote:Couldn't the member put a stop payment on their own check with their own bank?

In this case it's far too late for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

nathangg wrote:Couldn't the member put a stop payment on their own check with their own bank? Wouldn't that cause it to not be honored by their bank, and thus it would come back to the ward as a donation that would need to be canceled? Thus effectively achieving what the member wants?

(Again, I'm no tax person, but if I were the one that had donated, I might go this route if I truly wanted to "cancel" my own donation)

Considering that the donation was made on December 30, and it is now January 23, I highly doubt it. Under all but the most extreme cases, that check has long since cleared the donor's account.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”