Official Donor Statements for members that have moved

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ericlaw5

Official Donor Statements for members that have moved

Post by ericlaw5 »

I'm receiving requests from former ward members who have moved to other units to mail them their official donor statements, as we have done in years past. As part of the CUBS migration we received an email stating that, starting this year, those statements would be mailed out by church headquarters to those who have resided in more than one ward during the year.

Can anyone confirm whether this is accurate and by what date members should expect to receive their statements?

Thanks,
-Eric
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Greetings,

You might want to check out THIS thread for a prior discussion on this.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ericlaw5

Post by ericlaw5 »

Thanks, that confirms that church headquarters will indeed mail out those specific statements. Now I'm just hoping someone knows when they will be mailing those out, since that's always the follow-up question the member asks me...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ericlaw5 wrote:Thanks, that confirms that church headquarters will indeed mail out those specific statements. Now I'm just hoping someone knows when they will be mailing those out, since that's always the follow-up question the member asks me...
I don't know that you can make that assumption. If you read the statement carefully, it doesn't say that CHQ will send statements to members who have resided in more than one ward, but rather only to those who have donated in more than one ward. So you would need to verify that they have donated in their new ward; if they have not, the new procedure doesn't apply to them.

Personally, I am wary of assuming that this new system will work flawlessly the first time it is in effect. I also am wondering about letting one statement in a Q&A section override the very clear communications in the past that say we are to give tax statements to all donors for the year. That seems like a casual way to override long-standing policy. But those are just my opinions -- make your own decisions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ericlaw5

Post by ericlaw5 »

Granted, and we have also made that distinction to those that have asked that they must have donated in more than one ward.

I also share your healthy skepticism, and would like to tell folks that if they have not gotten their statement by 'x' date that we can assume there's a problem and we would need to mail it to them separately. Perhaps, barring further information, we should go ahead and mail them out to anyone who has not received something by the end of January, since that is the date the we're supposed to have given them to everyone else.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

Considering the tax laws in the U.S., HQ will likely mail the statements prior to Jan. 31.
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”