Checks - One Signature Only?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
adiether

Checks - One Signature Only?

Post by adiether »

Just opened the new box of checks and things looked a little difference. The words "TWO SIGNATURES REQUIRED" are missing and there is only one signature line. The checks are certainly meant for us as the check number was right. Did the printers of checks mess up or is there a new policy? I would have thought some sort of communication would have take place as this is CHI policy to have two signatures on every check.

I searched the forums for this and came up blank. Anyone know?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

adiether wrote:Just opened the new box of checks and things looked a little difference. The words "TWO SIGNATURES REQUIRED" are missing and there is only one signature line. The checks are certainly meant for us as the check number was right. Did the printers of checks mess up or is there a new policy? I would have thought some sort of communication would have take place as this is CHI policy to have two signatures on every check.

I searched the forums for this and came up blank. Anyone know?
Many orders of checks were sent out this way incorrectly. See the thread New check stock with only a single signature? for details. You need to call Local Unit Support and they will send out the correct checks.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jakealex2

Post by jakealex2 »

The church sent out a message saying that even though their is only one spot for a signature they still require two.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

aebrown wrote:Many orders of checks were sent out this way incorrectly. See the thread New check stock with only a single signature? for details. You need to call Local Unit Support and they will send out the correct checks.
I had a unit affected by this and they were told to shred them and new checks would be mailed. That was on 12/16/2010. They never came, but we did get an MLS message recently that said to just make sure each check had 2 signatures. I still had the message with instructions to shred so I called LUS today for clarification and was told that there were so many units with these incorrect checks that it would be too expensive to reprint and mail out replacements for all the affected units. Therefore, they have instructed those affected to use the checks with a single signature line BUT the checks must still be signed twice.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

got some here in the UK today - and again, they only have the 1 line. Not likely to be a printing error.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

dannykos wrote:got some here in the UK today - and again, they only have the 1 line. Not likely to be a printing error.
It was as of this morning when I talked to LUS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannykos wrote:Not likely to be a printing error.

Why do you say that?

From what others have indicated, it appears that the vendor only prints one line as their standard, but over prints with a second line to make it comply with the church's order. What appears to have failed is that the checks shipped without going though the overprinting. As such, the check will appear as if it was intended that way instead of showing signs of a printing malfunction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

RussellHltn wrote:Why do you say that?

From what others have indicated, it appears that the vendor only prints one line as their standard, but over prints with a second line to make it comply with the church's order. What appears to have failed is that the checks shipped without going though the overprinting. As such, the check will appear as if it was intended that way instead of showing signs of a printing malfunction.

I only mean that isn't it unlikely that the same mistakes were repeated around the world? Surely the cheques for the US and UK are printed totally separately.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannykos wrote:Surely the cheques for the US and UK are printed totally separately.

You'd think, but I'd call the Area Office before assuming that it's a change in policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dannykos wrote:I only mean that isn't it unlikely that the same mistakes were repeated around the world? Surely the cheques for the US and UK are printed totally separately.

Several years ago, we received checks in our U.S. ward that were printed in a Canadian format that we could not use. At least in this latest misprinting incident two authorized signatures can be placed on these checks until the correct ones can be printed and shipped.

The policy has not changed, though. Two signatures are still required.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”