Persistent urgent task to Send & Receive

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
gawing

Persistent urgent task to Send & Receive

Post by gawing »

I thought I'd seen a thread with information on this, but I can't find it. Either I can't search very well, or I can't remember very well :-)

Anyway, we were just given a new computer. We migrated everything over fine, and called support after getting the security error. That got reset, and everything seems to be running fine. However, every time we login, we are told there are urgent tasks. The task is to send the changes that have been made recently. At first I thought there had actually been changes made, but it keeps happening now, and I know that there are no changes to send. I noticed that after the send and receive is done, no checkmark ends up beside the task. So it asks us every time.
Otherwise, the S&R is working fine (as is everything else in the software as far as we can tell). We have had changes come in, and our transmission of financial data on Sunday worked fine.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this urgent task?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gawing wrote:Any suggestions on how to get rid of this urgent task?
I've had this happen a couple of times in a somewhat different way. In my case, it was a couple of checks that MLS could never figure out had actually been sent, which then MLS constantly reminded me to transmit.

The fix in my cases was to call Local Unit Support. They pulled a copy of our MLS database, determined that there was something amiss in the database, created and sent to us a patch file to correct the database, which then fixed the problem. The process involved a couple of calls and 3-4 transmissions, but it did indeed correct the issue.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I just searched out this thread. It's a bit old but I thought I'd resurrect it as I've been having this same problem for about 2 months now. I don't think I'm having the same problem aebrown did, with checks not getting registered as sent, but, I may not know what to look for either.

I know of another ward having the same problem. This, of course, is not all that critical but it would be nice to get it to go away as I'm tired of having to continually check my Urgent Tasks to see if there is a real one in there.

Anyone have this problem and solve it? If no one has an easy fix, I'll follow aebrown's guidance and call LUS. (would like to avoid this as LUS has much larger fish to fry)
gawing

Post by gawing »

Eventually this just went away for us within a few weeks. We didn't have to do anything.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I called LUS on this yesterday. I wouldn't have bothered them with it but I had to call about another issue so asked about this while I had them on the line.

They had me....
  • Do a transmit, exit MLS, restart MLS - didn't help.
  • Check my system time/date - which were OK.
  • See if any donation batches from 2007 were still in the database - there weren't.
  • Look for a semaphore file in my backup directory - not there.
They said I "Might try reinstalling 3.3" - which I haven't tried. (not sure if I will)
Lastly, I was told to "Wait and see if it goes away".
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

When I called LUS about this issue, I was told that it was by design. As I told them, what it has accomplished is that I now completely ignore the urgent task notice.
drporray

Post by drporray »

I've called a couple times on this issue. We've had it now for a couple of months. I've been told "it's a known issue" and "they're working on it". Wish they'd hurry up. They thought it might go away with the installation of 3.3, but no luck.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

ckmcdonald wrote:..... They said I "Might try reinstalling 3.3" - which I haven't tried. (not sure if I will)
Lastly, I was told to "Wait and see if it goes away".
This is an update to my earlier post.... This afternoon I did another transmit and a patch downloaded. I wasn't expecting one from CHQ as one wasn't mentioned when I was on the phone with them. The patch installed and forced me to re-log in. Persistent urgent message problem is gone!

Looking around I saw only one side affect... my yearly budget amounts had been set back to zero. It was easy enough to reenter these.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

I to have seen this problem for at least a month or more also. Sounds like maybe they fixed that issue. I will go and check this out tomorrow.

I have also see the persistent urgent task saying you have new messages when we do not. There is always unopened envelopes with NO information in the to, date, or from columns. One cannot ever open or delete the unopened envelope. This has been also going on for at least a month or more now.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

daryl1 wrote:I have also see the persistent urgent task saying you have new messages when we do not. There is always unopened envelopes with NO information in the to, date, or from columns. One cannot ever open or delete the unopened envelope. This has been also going on for at least a month or more now.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
You might try some of the suggestions in THIS thread for clearing the stuck messages.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”