Feature Requests

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
98bowls

Feature Requests

Post by 98bowls »

I'm sorry if this is not appropriate, but I couldn't find a thread to put feature requests into. I love this app. Here's some things I think would make it even better... I hope other people can add their ideas as well. If I saw the idea elsewhere in the forum I am omitting it here.

Selectable text... Then I can copy and paste sections of text to things like my notes.

Auto Scroll... not just based on the tilt function. I came from WebOS and that version of Gospel Library had a feature where you tapped on the bottom of the screen and the text started scrolling at a user definable speed. Now on my Evo I would love to put it up on the kickstand and read without constantly reaching up to scroll the screen down.

Persistent progress bar... I'd love to have the option to keep the progress bar on the right side of the screen (scroll bar?) visible all the time to give me an idea of where I am in the chapter.

I know this is minor stuff and that you probably have bigger fish to fry but I would really like to see these features. Thanks for a great app!
98bowls

Post by 98bowls »

I forgot to mention... I love on the iphone app how you can have multiple windows open at once... If that is possible on android I'd love to see it...
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

We are currently working on a major update to the app where we will allow users to select what books they want to include in Gospel Library from a list of all the standard works, church magazines back to 1970, teacher and student manuals for church and institute, and other available church materials. There will also be several titles available in other languages. Once we have this completed, we will be focusing on other usability features, such as those you mentioned above. Much of this work is being done by a couple of church employees and many volunteer developers. We are working to have this available early this spring so we appreciate people's patience while we work to improve the app.
Jason Hyer
98bowls

Post by 98bowls »

Thanks for the update and all the great work!
elmerohueso

Post by elmerohueso »

I'd like to see an option to keep the screen on while the program is open, rather than having to tweak the Android main screen time out when singing a long hymn.
Also would like to see screen rotation lock a la Kindle app (rotate the screen, a lock icon appears in the corner to lock/unlock rotation).

(I'd stick these on the Wish List in the wiki, but it says the URL isn't found when I hit Login)
sflinders

JST Footnotes

Post by sflinders »

It would be really helpful if you could change the color of footnotes that link to the JST so they can be distinguished from other footnotes. It's really helpful to be able to quickly identify which footnotes are cross-references to other scriptures, etc. as opposed to those that point to the JST.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sflinders wrote:It would be really helpful if you could change the color of footnotes that link to the JST so they can be distinguished from other footnotes.

+1. I'd like to expand that a bit to see those that offer alternate definitions of words as well. Anything that explains the text at hand rather then cross-linking to other scriptures or Topical Guide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rrhunsaker

Post by rrhunsaker »

I noticed that RyanF-p40 posted something along these lines earlier but went a different direction then what I was looking for. Recently my phone crashed wiping out a few months of notes, highlights and bookmarks. I would be tickled pink if there was a backup feature! Not looking to export them in any format other then just to have the available somewhere in the event that my phone crashes again. If someone knows how I can secure notes and highlights in the mean time I would appreciate some directions! I do have a rooted phone and it sounded like notes and highlights are stored under data/data/org.lds.ldssa somewhere but I would like to know for sure!
Thanks in advanced!
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

jasonhyer wrote:We are currently working on a major update to the app where we will allow users to select what books they want to include in Gospel Library from a list of all the standard works, church magazines back to 1970, teacher and student manuals for church and institute, and other available church materials. There will also be several titles available in other languages. Once we have this completed, we will be focusing on other usability features, such as those you mentioned above. Much of this work is being done by a couple of church employees and many volunteer developers. We are working to have this available early this spring so we appreciate people's patience while we work to improve the app.
Is there a place where this updated version is being discussed / a branch in svn where the code exists to bang on?

Just curious because I've been banging a bit on the current codebase but if there is going to be a major change in a future version it'd obviously be better to work on that version.
roxanaford

Re: Feature Requests

Post by roxanaford »

I see one feature request for auto scroll and wonder why more people aren't asking for it. I think it would be so handy. Has anything been done to develope it?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”