How do we reinstall XP?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

How do we reinstall XP?

Post by drepouille »

I probably missed this, but the new Optiplex 740 computers are preloaded with Windows XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack 3.

How do we reinstall this in the future? There is no disc in the box.

Thanks,
Dana
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

These computers come with a hidden partition that can be accessed to restore the computer to the state it was in when it shipped. In addition, Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive. If ever necessary, he's actually restore a previous image rather than reinstalling.

That's a quick answer. You'll get more soon, I'm sure.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive.
Desktop 5.5 is no longer installed. There are no instructions for doing so on mls.lds.org, and the CDs are no longer shipped. The instructions for new 740s simply say to install the new Anti-Virus/Malware and Computer Management Software.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:These computers come with a hidden partition that can be accessed to restore the computer to the state it was in when it shipped. In addition, Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive. If ever necessary, he's actually restore a previous image rather than reinstalling.

That's a quick answer. You'll get more soon, I'm sure.
Installing Desktop 5.5 on Dell 740 computers is not required. In fact the instructions provided on mls.lds.org do not mention Desktop 5.5.

The hidden partition does not exist on new Dell 740 computers.

I have not checked the disc that came with our most recent 740s but I made the assumption that the OEM image for the computer was on that single disc. The computer we received in April 2009 had both the Windows Vista and Windows XP operating system distribution discs.

I guess I am going to take a closer look at that OEM disc.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Interesting... In that case, should you need to reinstall windows, DON'T reformat the hard drive on your own. This will erase the hidden partition. Instead, when the computer is booting up, you usually hit F11 or F12 to enter the "restore" mode. It will walk you through the process of formatting your hard drive and reinstalling windows. You will lose anything that did not come with the computer, so make sure you save your backups and any other files you want beforehand and make sure you keep discs for any software you install.
drepouille

No disc, but there is a Vista key

Post by drepouille »

I only opened one of the computer boxes today, and I didn't see any Windows OEM installation disc. I don't even have an XP license key, since the license key on the sticker is a Vista license key.

Maybe I should CREATE an image of one of these new hard drives before I do anything else. That way, I will at least have something to fall back on if one of the units can't even boot into safe mode.

So many missing pieces to the puzzle, eh?

Dana
drepouille

I know!

Post by drepouille »

If I ever have a clerk's computer become unbootable, I can remove the hard drive, copy all the data files to a safe place, and then clone a hard drive from another unit onto the drive that was corrupted.

Then I will need to change the Computer Name, because that contains the unit number (LU-xxxxx). I will probably have to reinstall LANDesk to make sure the inventory is not confused, and of course reinstall MLS so we get the right ward.

No worries then...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Installing Desktop 5.5 on Dell 740 computers is not required. In fact the instructions provided on mls.lds.org do not mention Desktop 5.5.
The current set of instructions said we were to throw away the prior set of instructions. I would interpret that to mean that we are not to install Desktop 5.5 any more.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

XP and Windows 7 discs

Post by drepouille »

Problem solved. The new FHC computers come with a Windows XP Professional installation disc and a Windows 7 32-bit disc. If an admin computer ever fails, I can use the XP Pro disc to reinstall, since it is a generic OEM, non-image, installation disc.
Dana.Repouille wrote:I only opened one of the computer boxes today, and I didn't see any Windows OEM installation disc. I don't even have an XP license key, since the license key on the sticker is a Vista license key.

Dana
drepouille

Dead Admin Computer

Post by drepouille »

drepouille wrote:Problem solved. The new FHC computers come with a Windows XP Professional installation disc and a Windows 7 32-bit disc. If an admin computer ever fails, I can use the XP Pro disc to reinstall, since it is a generic OEM, non-image, installation disc.

As I worried a year ago, a branch's admin computer has become unbootable. I am going to pick it up now to see what the problem is. I hope the C partition is at least readable so I can copy all the data files onto another drive before I reformat and reinstall. Since the admin computer did not come with a Windows DVD, I will have to use the CFI DVD that came with the newest FHC computers. It's all XP Professional. I will just have to remove the FHC-specific programs and install the admin computer security and management software.
Dana

Return to “Clerk Computers”