Calendar Start and End Times

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
SherryLynn

Calendar Start and End Times

Post by SherryLynn »

Not all events have a start and end time, but it won't let me enter the event without it. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Sherry
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SherryLynn wrote:Not all events have a start and end time, but it won't let me enter the event without it. Is there anything I can do?

You need to check the "All Day" checkbox if you want the event to last all day (holidays, for example). Then the start and end time fields will disappear (and no longer be required).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
morts

Post by morts »

I do not know what Browser you are using but I could not see the all day check box in Firefox but I did find it using Internet Explorer
wright_left

Post by wright_left »

Not every event that doesn't have a start and end time is an all day event. I guess that's an ok work around though.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wright_left wrote:Not every event that doesn't have a start and end time is an all day event. I guess that's an ok work around though.
Can you give an example of that? I'm having a hard time coming up with such an event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I've found that you can also set the start and end times to the same time. For example, having an event start and end at 10:00am, instead of having to start at 10:00am and end at 10:01am.

The only time I have had trouble setting start and end times is when trying to enter an event to mark the start of Daylight Saving Time. The current calendar won't let me enter any event that starts between 2:00am and 2:59am on March 13, 2011. So I'm having to get creative showing that DST in my area begins at 2:00am 03/13/2011 on the new calendar.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jbh001 wrote:The only time I have had trouble setting start and end times is when trying to enter an event to mark the start of Daylight Saving Time. The current calendar won't let me enter any event that starts between 2:00am and 2:59am on March 13, 2011. So I'm having to get creative showing that DST in my area begins at 2:00am 03/13/2011 on the new calendar.
The classic calendar had this same problem. On the classic calendar I just ended up putting the start time in the title. Of course there does not need to be a start or end time for an event in the classic calendar. I would guess that an all day event with the start time in the title for the beginning of DST will work for the new calendar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbh001 wrote:The only time I have had trouble setting start and end times is when trying to enter an event to mark the start of Daylight Saving Time. The current calendar won't let me enter any event that starts between 2:00am and 2:59am on March 13, 2011. So I'm having to get creative showing that DST in my area begins at 2:00am 03/13/2011 on the new calendar.

That's because those times won't exist. So I don't see why you would expect to be able to schedule something for a time that will never occur. For time zones that observe DST, you have all times up to an infinitesimal time before 2:00am, and then it is 3:00am. So it is really more correct to say that the change occurs at 3:00am, but that's admittedly splitting hairs.

Personally, I don't see any great reason to put a time on that event. Yes, it is of course correct that the time shift occurs from 2am to 3am. But I have always simply entered it as an all-day event so that there is a notice that DST begins on that date. Everyone knows that it starts at the beginning of the day, especially since my event is labeled "Daylight Saving Time Begins."

Return to “Calendar”