Pushed MLS 3.3 update clears data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ThomsonMA

Pushed MLS 3.3 update clears data

Post by ThomsonMA »

Our stake and at least one ward so far have experience the situation that after the MLS3.3 update is pushed and the system rebooted, all of the previous data is gone. MLS starts up and asks for a unit number just like a brand new install. I've been unable to locate the data anywhere on the machine.

I'm hoping we have recent backups!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Part of the 3.3 upgrade moves the data from
C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS
to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS.

It's not in either place?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

Difficult to say... We reloaded from a backup, which of course populates that directory.

The symptom both the stake and one ward (so far) saw was that after the "pushed" upgrade completed and the system was rebooted, starting MLS resulted in a screen asking for the unit number and administrator password. That tells me it couldn't find any existing data where it "expected" it to be. I couldn't find it in the old location (C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS), or anywhere else that "search" could find.

Our data is back but we have at least one observed peculiarity on the Stake machine: If we look under "Organizations" and select "High Council" we get a display with no line items listed. The tab on the left, however, reads "High Council 8th" rather than just "High Council". When we produce complete organization list, the High Council lists properly. We're baffled by the "8th" annotation on the organization menu and how to get around it.

We may try a complete reload of MLS3.3 to see if that helps.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

ThomsonMA wrote:The symptom both the stake and one ward (so far) saw was that after the "pushed" upgrade completed and the system was rebooted, starting MLS resulted in a screen asking for the unit number and administrator password. That tells me it couldn't find any existing data where it "expected" it to be. I couldn't find it in the old location (C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS), or anywhere else that "search" could find.
Just a thought - restoring from a backup will also prompt for an admin login if the current user is not an admin. It makes me wonder if a non-admin user was logged in when the patch downloaded and installed. Without the proper permissions, I could see the "restore" not working correctly and resulting in a loss of your old data but a failure to import you new data, leaving most fields empty.

I've never seen this before, but I'm learning not to set my expectations of what should and should not happen too high...
lancejackson

MLS lost data

Post by lancejackson »

In our stake, we had the same thing happen to two wards. Since MLS was no longer prompting for backup, the first ward was not making any. Fortunately a call to support got a Membership backup that was only a couple of weeks old and a call to Finance got the financial data restored. In the second ward, we learned the lesson and made backups before the upgrade was installed. So it was an easy fix. We have not been able to determine what the difference in the two wards computers was. We have since instructed all the wards to make a backup regularly whether MLS prompts for one or not.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lancejackson wrote:We have since instructed all the wards to make a backup regularly whether MLS prompts for one or not.

The irony, of course, is that MLS 3.3 now prompts for a backup when financial information is changed, just as earlier versions of MLS did. But the very act of installing the version that would prompt for backup caused a problem where you really wished you had a backup.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

ThomsonMA wrote: Our data is back but we have at least one observed peculiarity on the Stake machine: If we look under "Organizations" and select "High Council" we get a display with no line items listed. The tab on the left, however, reads "High Council 8th" rather than just "High Council". When we produce complete organization list, the High Council lists properly. We're baffled by the "8th" annotation on the organization menu and how to get around it.

We may try a complete reload of MLS3.3 to see if that helps.
I saw that in one other unit I was helping support. It was caused by having 2 High Councils in CDOL (It doesn't look like you have that problem in CDOL.) After they did a 'request unit refresh data..' they started having the same problem. Each time they when in to the High Council the number would go up. I believe they had to have a programmer fix the problem. I would recommend contacting LUS about it.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”