New Calendar settings were reset

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kennova

New Calendar settings were reset

Post by kennova »

I had created a calendar... added a bunch of events over a two-week period.. then I added editors by calling and a couple by name.

Logged in today to find the calendar had been magically set to private and all editors removed but me. It's possible that one of the editors did this, but I REALLY doubt it, and if they did it's probably a case of, "Well if I did I didn't mean to" so if I ask them they wouldn't know how to answer.

My real question is if something changed on the backend to make this happen.

What's really frustrating is that little quirks like this have been making me, and the church website look bad... Sometimes the iPhone app doesn't bring up the calendar, sometimes the calendar or directory just don't work (like on Sundays, which is really annoying.) Anyway, any help on my original question would be appreciated, I'll stop venting now. :)
Kenn North
Texas
kennova

Post by kennova »

one last thing is that I cannot add editors anymore... I click on Add editors by calling and nothing happens.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:My real question is if something changed on the backend to make this happen.

I'm not privy to what happens on the server side. But I checked out all my calendars, and they are intact, with all the specified editors in place.

I can't speak for all your editors, but I REALLY doubt that the software changed your calendar to private -- I would think it more likely that this problem was caused by human error. But it's tough to know. I wish there were some sort of history available so that a calendar administrator could go in and find out what happened.

However, there is somewhat of a history for certain events, and removing an editor from a calendar is one of them. Whenever anyone is removed as an editor, they should receive a message informing them of that removal. The message looks something like this:
Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Subject: Removed as editor
To: <your email address>

You have been removed as an editor from the following calendar.

Calendar name: <calendar name>
Calendar description: <calendar description>
Removed by: <name of editor>

System Notification

You received this e-mail because you are an editor, administrator, private viewer, or subscriber of a calendar for your ward or stake. To change your e-mail address, log in to the directory ( http://www.lds.org/directory), click My Family, and then click Edit Profile. Update the e-mail address next to your name. To unsubscribe from all e-mail notifications, remove the e-mail address listed in your profile. To unsubscribe from system e-mail notifications only, set a rule in your inbox to filter messages from this address into another folder.
So you can check with one or more people who you know were editors previously, and see if they got such a message. If so, you will know who did it and approximately when. If not, then that would give some weight to the theory that it was caused by some sort of system problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:one last thing is that I cannot add editors anymore... I click on Add editors by calling and nothing happens.
That's not happening for me. What is your calendar role? Are you on the list of approvers (Options > Manage Rights)?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kennova

Post by kennova »

I am the creator of this Calendar and the am listed as an editor.. My calling is Exec Secretary and so I have a lot of the privileges on the site.. and I checked the list of approvers and I am on there as well.

I will check to see if anyone got that email... that's good to know, and I'll report back.
Kenn North
Texas
kennova

Post by kennova »

ok, yes, they got an email, and it said I did it.. which I KNOW I didn't do... so any thoughts on what happened?

The email they got...
You have been removed as an editor from the following calendar.

Calendar name: Vista Ridge Ward Calendar
Calendar description: Calendar of Events for the Vista Ridge ward.. Should include Youth activities, Ward Activities, Temple Trips, and RS Events.
Removed by: Kenn North
Kenn North
Texas
kennova

Post by kennova »

and now I am getting alert on the calendar that data is temporarily unavailable for this application and I can't manager Calendars at all. Something has happened on the backend...
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:ok, yes, they got an email, and it said I did it.. which I KNOW I didn't do... so any thoughts on what happened?

The email they got...
That's a bit baffling. One thing you might look at is the date/time of the email they received. Then think about what you were doing at the time. It might be interesting to know if you were actually doing something with the calendar, which somehow caused the unintended action, or if it was the system somehow acting on its own, or if somehow someone else did it but it was attributed to you.

But beyond that, I'm running out of ideas. You can report the issue using the Submit Feedback link on lds.org and hope that your description of the problem gives a developer some hints as to what is happening.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:and now I am getting alert on the calendar that data is temporarily unavailable for this application and I can't manager Calendars at all. Something has happened on the backend...

That's happening to me, too. I've seen this a few times, but in my experience it doesn't last long (usually only a few minutes, and I've never seen it last longer than a few hours).
kennova

Post by kennova »

the email was received at 12:02pm on January 13th.. which is about 10 minutes before I posted here noticing it... I did not do make this change. I was thinking earlier that maybe I made a change and I didn't realize I did this, but my memory is not so bad I can't remember back 10 minutes. :)
Kenn North
Texas

Return to “Calendar”