unknown administrator password

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

unknown administrator password

Post by lrawlins »

I tried to log in one of the machines in my Stake to deal with a virus issue only to find the password wasn't what I expected.

I tried the others used in the Stake and nothing worked.

Other than re-immaging the drive is there a way to recover the password?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Up until very recently, the "clerk" login had to have Admin rights.

Since you're dealing with a virus issue, it wouldn't be a bad idea to back everything up and reload. You can never be sure that you've eliminated a virus (and all it's friends). All you can be sure of is that your AV can't detect any thing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lrawlins wrote:I tried to log in one of the machines in my Stake to deal with a virus issue only to find the password wasn't what I expected.

Thanks
So you're saying that the both the Windows Clerk administrator user account password has been changed and the Windows stake administrator password has been changed? This assumes your stake set up a stake administrator account as recommended.

There is a way to reset the password for any or all Windows XP user accounts. But I do not want to discuss it here on these forums. If you would like send me a private message and I can discuss it with you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lrawlins wrote:I tried to log in one of the machines in my Stake to deal with a virus issue only to find the password wasn't what I expected.
Can you not just ask the ward clerk? Up to this point, all user accounts were admin accounts. You can therefore deal with the virus using any of the user accounts. Once logged in, you can create a new account if you want for yourself.

If you are the STS, you could try the default admin account the instructions tell you to set up. See here for more. You'll actually have to have a password to log into the LDS site to see what the password is (or get it from the stake clerk/STS).
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

What I oddly enough have are two machines that have the same 3 items in Sophos Quarantine.

I haven't been able to uncover the option to delete the 3 items.

I suspect they came from an infected USB drive as one machine is only a couple of months old and the other is at the end of its 5 year cycle. The common link is that the clerk on the older machine is now Stake Clerk and using the new machine.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lrawlins wrote:What I oddly enough have are two machines that have the same 3 items in Sophos Quarantine.

I suspect they came from an infected USB drive as one machine is only a couple of months old and the other is at the end of its 5 year cycle. The common link is that the clerk on the older machine is now Stake Clerk and using the new machine.
Ah, well that's a different problem. Even logging in as the main admin will still not grant you access. The church install of Sophos does not grant local admins the permissions necessary to do that. And because providing instructions on how to do it would circumvent system security as set by CHQ, I would just leave it be.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lrawlins wrote:What I oddly enough have are two machines that have the same 3 items in Sophos Quarantine.

So what does this have to do with not having the password? Are you talking about the password for Sophos or for a Windows administrator user account? My previous comment and the information I provided you in PM were under the suposition that you did not have access to any Windows administrator user account. There is no local adminstrator access to Sophos.

If you have access to a Windows administrator user account then the best course of action for a virus still plaguing a machine would be to log onto the machine through an administrator account, backup or copy all needed working files, and then wipe the hard drive and setup the machine from scratch.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:I haven't been able to uncover the option to delete the 3 items.

I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support. The issue here is that by default the local admins don't have full rights to Sophos. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. If intentional, then giving instructions would be "circumventing security" which is against the Code of Conduct.

OTOH, if LUS gives you the information.... enjoy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Regarding Administrator passwords on admin computers, I needed one last night so I could use the Recovery Console to run CHKDSK /R on a corrupted drive. I could not remember the Administrator password I used when I installed the admin computers last year. So I went to mls.lds.org and looked at the Optiplex 740 installation instructions. Yes, the Administrator password is given there.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

drepouille wrote:Regarding Administrator passwords on admin computers, I needed one last night so I could use the Recovery Console to run CHKDSK /R on a corrupted drive. I could not remember the Administrator password I used when I installed the admin computers last year. So I went to mls.lds.org and looked at the Optiplex 740 installation instructions. Yes, the Administrator password is given there.
Take down your link!!!
There's a reason there's a password to access this information!

Return to “Clerk Computers”