Cannot create new calendar item?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
qirien

Cannot create new calendar item?

Post by qirien »

I'm hoping this isn't a bug and I'm just missing something . . . perhaps one of you could help me out. I'm trying to create a new calendar item. The help page says to "Click and drag the time span on the calendar where you want to add an event." I've tried this in month view and in week view, but nothing happens at all when I click anywhere on the calendar, or click and drag anywhere (except clicking on existing events opens them). I've looked for a generic "Create Event" button, but haven't found any way to create an event.

I've tried using Chrome 8 and Firefox 3.6 on two different computers, but they both show the same behavior.

Can anyone help me out?

--
Andrea Landaker
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

qirien wrote:I'm hoping this isn't a bug and I'm just missing something . . . perhaps one of you could help me out. I'm trying to create a new calendar item. The help page says to "Click and drag the time span on the calendar where you want to add an event." I've tried this in month view and in week view, but nothing happens at all when I click anywhere on the calendar, or click and drag anywhere (except clicking on existing events opens them). I've looked for a generic "Create Event" button, but haven't found any way to create an event.

First of all, welcome to the LDSTech forum!

Next, it sounds like you are using the new calendar on the Tools menu of lds.org. For the new calendar, you have to have editor permission for at least one calendar in order to add an event. Has someone set you up as a calendar editor, or are you a calendar approver for your ward?

One easy way to check if you have editor permissions is to look in the upper right corner of the page. There you will see a Print button and a Help button. If you also see a Create Event button immediately to the left of the Print button, then you are an editor. If you don't, you are not. You said you didn't see such a button, so I'm guessing you don't have editor permissions.

If you don't have editor permissions, then you need to contact a calendar approver (such as your ward clerk) in your ward to discuss whether it is appropriate for you to have editor permissions. If it is, he can give you editor permission for whatever calendar(s) would be appropriate. If not, he can help you schedule your event, or point you to someone else who can.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
qirien

Post by qirien »

Yes, this is on the new calendar.

I just got called as the YW secretary. I guess I assumed that would give me permissions to the "Youth" calendar, but perhaps not (or maybe it hasn't updated yet? It's there under Ward Directory, but perhaps hasn't propagated to the calendar yet).

It's kind of funny, because I used to be the ward website coordinator, so I'm used to having permissions to do everything . . .

Thanks for the pointer; I bet this will solve the problem!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

qirien wrote:I just got called as the YW secretary. I guess I assumed that would give me permissions to the "Youth" calendar, but perhaps not (or maybe it hasn't updated yet? It's there under Ward Directory, but perhaps hasn't propagated to the calendar yet).

Editor roles are not assigned automatically based on calling. A calendar approver can assign specific callings or specific people to a calendar as editors, but until those assignments are made, the calendar system has no particular knowledge of who should be an editor for any calendar.

It's possible that your ward clerk or another approver designated that the YW secretary would be an editor for the Youth calendar, and that your particular calling information has not yet propagated to the calendar. But I think it's much more likely that the YW secretary calling is not designated as an editor for that calendar. If so, it won't do any good to wait -- you'll need to ask an approver to make that editor assignment.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”