Scheduled down time

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Scheduled down time

Post by russellhltn »

Would it be possible to get a schedule or some idea when LUWS is taken down? Often times, I'm not informed when I reach the login page, but when the whole thing goes ka-fooey on login.

For example, I logged into to look up some names so I can schedule somethings and after logging in I get "The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it." I have no idea when it will be back up again.

Also when scheduling, please keep in mind that the US is at least 6-7 time zones wide, not 4-5. What's good for CONUS isn't good for all users. :mad:
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I think that is a great suggestion. I'll pass it along to the team to see if they want to post their downtimes somewhere online.

Tom
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Almost all major websies post something if they are going to be down more than a few minutes, such as overnight or whatever. That would be a good idea for a bloglike page off lds.org or any other Church property, that would be updated to show 'system status' or something, when they needed to take a site or part of it offline for maintenance.

Will be particularly needed as new FamilySearch rolls out, they have already done this with good results on the FamilySearch Indexing site after everyone swamped the servers right after the August Ensign came out.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

JamesAnderson wrote:Almost all major websies post something if they are going to be down more than a few minutes, such as overnight or whatever. That would be a good idea for a bloglike page off lds.org or any other Church property, that would be updated to show 'system status' or something, when they needed to take a site or part of it offline for maintenance.
Sounds like a job for LDS Tech!
ShirtsDre

Default Error Message.

Post by ShirtsDre »

RussellHltn wrote: "The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it."
This message is simply the default error message that gets displayed for a variety of reasons. As far as a scheduled outtage, the only regular occurrence will be a nightly run of several database updates. I don't know exactly when these occur, but they do cause this default message to occur.

We will not be implementing a scheduled outtage message as the current one (The default error message) "fits the bill". There are occasions where this default error page will display a specific error id number. If that occurs, please contact the Global Help Desk with as much background information as possible as to where you were in the site and what action you were attempting to accomplish. I can't tell you how helpful it is to provide us this error number and background information.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:We will not be implementing a scheduled outtage message as the current one (The default error message) "fits the bill".
Normally, changes I make to the website happen so quickly that it doesn't warrant shutting the site down. The effect it will have, at most, is one or two users being interrupted. I only do these updates periodically ,two or three times a quarter, and can tell if it is interrupting normal usage of the site. If it does, the changes are usually rolled back immediately.

In the event that we will be taking the website down for an extended period of time, other than the daily database updates previously mentioned, a site lock out page would be provided, giving an estimated time for reopening the site. This has yet to happen with the Stake and Ward Websites site.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:We will not be implementing a scheduled outage message as the current one (The default error message) "fits the bill".
I beg to differ. The default message suggests that either the servers are totally hosed, or that your login is messed up. Nowhere does it suggest "we're down for maintenance" or "please try later" (or how much "later"). If nothing else, I think the default error message needs tweaking.

The current message, while it may be technically correct, doesn't give the user any useful information. (It reminds me of this joke)
ShirtsDre

"Glittering Generality"

Post by ShirtsDre »

RussellHltn wrote:I beg to differ. The default message suggests that either the servers are totally hosed, or that your login is messed up. Nowhere does it suggest "we're down for maintenance" or "please try later" (or how much "later"). If nothing else, I think the default error message needs tweaking.

The current message, while it may be technically correct, doesn't give the user any useful information. (It reminds me of this joke)
This is a default message used by a multitude of sites within the same architecture. It is meant to be over-generalized. Specifics are sometimes added as an error ID number that the user can refer to the Global Service Desk for reporting purposes.

We are not the only site that offers only a generalized error screen when issues arise. This is in effect our "404 - Not Found" page, which we and other sites use for a host of different reasons.

If the issue happens again, please note if an error id number is displayed. Either way, please contact the Global Service Desk to report the issue so we can get working on it as soon as possible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:This is in effect our "404 - Not Found" page.

Actually, "404" would be an improvement. At least I know what that is.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”