The Church's digital storage

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bensonmcconkie

The Church's digital storage

Post by bensonmcconkie »

I do FamilySearch Indexing, and after reading the following article, wondered: How does the Church plan to keep its digital data forever? Especially the data on FamilySearch.org?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700099147/California-nonprofit-Well-store-digital-data-forever.html
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This old thread may give you some ideas.

Keep in mind the article you point out is about personal data storage which tends to be in one place and/or placed on a shelf for long periods of time. Since FamilySearch is "on-line" system, it's a "live" system that's routinely backed up, updated and professionally managed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bensonmcconkie

Post by bensonmcconkie »

RussellHltn wrote:This old thread may give you some ideas.

Keep in mind the article you point out is about personal data storage which tends to be in one place and/or placed on a shelf for long periods of time. Since FamilySearch is "on-line" system, it's a "live" system that's routinely backed up, updated and professionally managed.
Thanks for the link--are there other differences (besides it being on a personal data storage) between what this person is doing, and what large companies/organizations do? I'm just curious.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bensonmcconkie wrote:are there other differences (besides it being on a personal data storage) between what this person is doing, and what large companies/organizations do? I'm just curious.

Nothing jumped out at me as being obviously different.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bensonmcconkie wrote:I do FamilySearch Indexing, and after reading the following article, wondered: How does the Church plan to keep its digital data forever? Especially the data on FamilySearch.org?

This topic is addressed directly on an interesting video produced by FamilySearch about the Granite Mountain vault. In particular, go to about the 4:00 mark on the second video:
This covers the topic of the digital data for the historical records themselves, but I would think that similar care is taken for other irreplaceable data.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bensonmcconkie

Post by bensonmcconkie »

aebrown wrote:This topic is addressed directly on an interesting video produced by FamilySearch about the Granite Mountain vault. In particular, go to about the 4:00 mark on the second video:
This covers the topic of the digital data for the historical records themselves, but I would think that similar care is taken for other irreplaceable data.

Great video. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussions”