Quarterly Budget Allowance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mduvernay

Quarterly Budget Allowance

Post by mduvernay »

This is my first quarterly budget allowance since being Ward Clerk. I noticed that there's a General Budget, Young Men, Young Women, Primary and Young Single adults. I don't see any budget allowance in regards to Relief Society, Elders Quorum, High Priest and Scouts.

My question is: How do I allocate a budget for those auxiliaries and quorums? Am I able to use the General Budget?

I was thinking that at the Bishop's discretion, he'd be able to set a quarterly budget allowance for those auxiliaries and quorums using the General Budget.

Thank you guys for your support and help!!!

Michael
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mduvernay wrote:This is my first quarterly budget allowance since being Ward Clerk. I noticed that there's a General Budget, Young Men, Young Women, Primary and Young Single adults. I don't see any budget allowance in regards to Relief Society, Elders Quorum, High Priest and Scouts.

My question is: How do I allocate a budget for those auxiliaries and quorums? Am I able to use the General Budget?

The subdivisions you mentioned for General Budget, YM, YW, Primary, and YSA reflect the numbers used to calculate the Budget Allocation that comes to your ward each quarter. Those are helpful numbers to be aware of, but certainly do not correspond exactly to the amounts your ward will budget to be spent by any particular auxiliary. Your entire quarterly allocation should have just been deposited to your account this week into the Budget:Budget Allocations subcategory. It is not broken down by those subdivisions mentioned above, but those subdivisions are mentioned in the Projected Quarterly Budget Allowance letter for your information.

At the end of last year, your ward should have created an annual budget, deciding what would be spent in each subcategory of Budget. That budget will take into account the amounts you anticipate you will receive (4x what you just received is a reasonable estimate, but you may have other seasonal or growth factors to consider) and the needs of each auxiliary, quorum, and other subcategory. That budget will include all the subcategories, and is independent of the subdivisions CHQ uses to calculate your ward's budget allowance (which is also affected by percentages determined by the stake).
mduvernay wrote:I was thinking that at the Bishop's discretion, he'd be able to set a quarterly budget allowance for those auxiliaries and quorums using the General Budget.

The bishop sets the entire budget based on the total allocation (not just the General Budget portion). He may use those other numbers for some guidance, but is not constrained by them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mduvernay

Post by mduvernay »

Thank you for the quick response aebrown! Now it seems so clear!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”