Stake budget went to zero

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dfairey

Stake budget went to zero

Post by dfairey »

I am a new stake clerk so sorry if this question is a no-brainer for some but the previous clerk is not available for training so I am learning on the fly.

I closed out 2010 with no problems. The stake had a surplus in the budget for 2010, and I was under the impression this surplus would forward into 2011 and would show under the "balance forward" category. However, when I go to the budget there is no forwarded balance and all categories are zero. When I run the report for the previous year the surplus is still there. My question is how do I forward the 2010 surplus into 2011?

Thanks for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dfairey wrote:I closed out 2010 with no problems. The stake had a surplus in the budget for 2010, and I was under the impression this surplus would forward into 2011 and would show under the "balance forward" category. However, when I go to the budget there is no forwarded balance and all categories are zero. When I run the report for the previous year the surplus is still there. My question is how do I forward the 2010 surplus into 2011?

I'm sure that the surplus still exists; you just need to look for it in the right place. If you run an Income and Expense Report, you will see the actual balance in your Budget category. Note that surpluses and deficits may be in a variety of subcategories, but the total of all of them should match the surplus you saw at the end of 2010.

I'm guessing you were looking at a Budget Report, which by design resets the values to 0 at the beginning of the year. In a stake that may be carrying forward a surplus this lets you set budgets using the View/Edit Budget screen and run Budget Reports to see what amounts you are planning to spend for 2011, and still use the Income and Expense Report to see the hard dollar balance, which is a different thing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”