Best and worst of tech.lds.org

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
tdeforest

Best and worst of tech.lds.org

Post by tdeforest »

Two quick questions:
  • What's the best part of tech.lds.org?
  • What's the worst part of tech.lds.org?
Feel free to answer both or only one. Thanks!
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

tdeforest wrote:Two quick questions:

• What's the best part of tech.lds.org?
  • What's the worst part of tech.lds.org?
Feel free to answer both or only one. Thanks!

What's the purpose of your inquiry?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
tdeforest

Post by tdeforest »

I'm hoping to understand how to improve tech.lds.org, if it needs it :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tdeforest wrote:I'm hoping to understand how to improve tech.lds.org, if it needs it :)
Could you be more specific. Are you a Church employee looking for some specific information that is not already available in these forums? Because there most certainly are a lot of threads devoted to both what people like about the classic lds.org as well as what they would like see changed.

However, with the release of the new lds.org people are already making recommendations throught site feedback. We also are aware that lds.org is in a state of development and that more content and structure is coming.

So if you are looking for something particular I would recommend some specific questions in specific areas. Forum users generally are not shy in responding when they are focussed on a particular aspect.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
njpomeroy

my short, but probably not useful answers

Post by njpomeroy »

Best part of tech.lds.org: That it exists at all. There is *somewhere* to find out about technology issues, solutions, and policies related to the church.

Worst part: that I disagree with about 90% of the solutions and policy decisions. :)
Seriously, I have a hard time finding good bug tracking and support info for church-produced apps, and this seems like I should be able to find it on tech.lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

njpomeroy wrote:Seriously, I have a hard time finding good bug tracking and support info for church-produced apps, and this seems like I should be able to find it on tech.lds.org.
Are you talking about community apps or non-community apps? Because for community developed, church sponsored apps, there's Jira.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Best: That it exists and the collective knowledge of the people on here.

Worst: Not enough usage by leaders who could really enhance their own abilities and share what they know with the rest of us. And lately, the "too busy" time every Sunday (that seems to have resolved itself, maybe).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I think the WIKI has to be right up there with the best the site has to offer. With a lot of hard work and dedication it has developed into an extremely useful resource.

I have to agree with idjeeper2:
idjeeper2 wrote:Worst: Not enough usage by leaders who could really enhance their own abilities and share what they know with the rest of us.
I can't tell you how many leaders I've mentioned tech.lds.org to and they just give me that puzzled look where I KNOW they have no clue what I'm talking about. I think if this site, and all it has to offer, was presented in a 10 minute priesthood session conference talk, it's value to the church would soar.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The worst part is that if you make a candid comment about something you dislike it might be inferred that you are criticizing the church as an institution or it's policies or doctrines. We're culturally taught to never criticize anything "done by the church." But I think it should be okay to offer feedback on something as doctrinally insignificant as tech issues. Still, I'm never quite sure who I'm offending.
wrpdmd

Post by wrpdmd »

Mikerowaved wrote:I think the WIKI has to be right up there with the best the site has to offer. With a lot of hard work and dedication it has developed into an extremely useful resource.

I have to agree with idjeeper2:

I can't tell you how many leaders I've mentioned tech.lds.org to and they just give me that puzzled look where I KNOW they have no clue what I'm talking about. I think if this site, and all it has to offer, was presented in a 10 minute priesthood session conference talk, it's value to the church would soar.

I'll second that; I came across it by accident.

If they don't want to spend time on it in priesthood session, maybe something in the Leadership session of Stake Conference?

A letter to the Stake Presidents would do, or maybe a video sent to the units?

Return to “General Discussions”