Church mags on iPad

theotherdrummer-p40

Church mags on iPad

Post by theotherdrummer-p40 »

I'd love to see Ensign/Liahona/Friend/New Era apps for the iPad.

In addition to being able to download it and have it with me wherever I go (hugely convenient), the multimedia aspects could be very impactful.

SOME IDEAS

Instead of having sidebars with quotes from General Authorities, the reader could hit Play and watch a video of it.

The artwork would look amazing and the use of music could be very powerful.

Articles could easily be shared with others/to social network profiles and commented on in-app.

Home and Visiting Teachers could highlight sections of their respective messages, insert notes and share other content right from their device during their visits.

What would you like to see in a Church mag app?
@theotherdrummer
jbh001

iPad ready lds.org?

Post by jbh001 »

I'm sure the the Church will make its web content iPad ready once it decides there is enough demand/benefit to do so. Personally I hope it does that sooner than later.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:I'm sure the the Church will make its web content iPad ready once it decides there is enough demand/benefit to do so.
And prioritizes it with other needs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
theotherdrummer-p40

Post by theotherdrummer-p40 »

True, both points.

But what would you ideally like to see them do? Dream big. What do you picture?
@theotherdrummer
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I suspect there are lots of folks (I am one of them) who will be first in line for the inevitable next-generation iPad. I'm guessing that Apple will release it at their annual iPod event (usually in September). (Be smart, people. Never buy a first-generation device from Apple.) Then, I'd say, the demand for official LDS apps will be huge.

Since one of the iPad's top uses is supposed to be as a reading device, I can hardly wait to see all of the church publications currently available online loaded onto this handy device and formatted to match the stuff that's printed on paper. I'm getting tired of following along with a Priesthood lesson on my Pocket PC and hearing someone say, "Would you please read the last paragraph on page 14?" and, of course, I have no idea where that is. (I know I could get the PDF versions but, on that little, Pocket PC screen, they're not the best choice.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GregAnderson wrote:I'm getting tired of following along with a Priesthood lesson on my Pocket PC and hearing someone say, "Would you please read the last paragraph on page 14?"
I don't think that's a problem unique to your phone. Perhaps it's time to educate the instructors. As more members turn to electronic formats, fewer members are going to volunteer to read if the instructor uses page numbers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't think that's a problem unique to your phone. Perhaps it's time to educate the instructors. As more members turn to electronic formats, fewer members are going to volunteer to read if the instructor uses page numbers.
So far, I've only used the Windows Mobile platform and my reader of choice has been YanCeyWare. It has page numbers available as links at the beginning of each chapter and they are also visible as you scroll through the book (along with the illustrations, I might add). It makes it very easy to, "Read from the first paragraph on page 92", if instructed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't think that's a problem unique to your phone. Perhaps it's time to educate the instructors. As more members turn to electronic formats, fewer members are going to volunteer to read if the instructor uses page numbers.
Our instructors have learned to ask us to read, "the paragraph that begins" and then quote the first few words.

Although very few of us have anything electronic at this point.
djdinut1

Ensign PDF viewing problem on iPad

Post by djdinut1 »

There is some problem with the way the Ensign pdf file creators have set up their formatting since some images are blocking text when viewed on the iPad. The reason I believe it's a file formatting problem is that I have tried viewing it on three different iPad apps (iBooks, GoodReader and CloudReader) and all have the same result.

The most recent example is the Jan 2011 issue of the Ensign. I downloaded the pdf file to my iPad and discovered that on several pages images block text. This is not true viewing it on a desktop computer, only the iPad. I have never had this problem with any other pdf file on my iPad so I believe it must be the way the Ensign pdf file creators have set up their formatting.

Examples from the Jan 2011 issue would be page Ensign pg 14 (16 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 15 (17 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 18 (20 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 19 (21 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 56 (58 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 57 (59 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 58 (60 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 66 (68 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 67 (69 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 68 (70 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 69 (71 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 74 (76 of 86 on iPad), Ensign pg 78 (80 of 86 on iPad).

I see only one problem on the Dec 2010 issue of the Ensign: Ensign pg 16 (18 of 84 on iPad). The fact that the Dec 2010 issue has only one problem but the Jan 2011 has multiple leads me, again, to suspect it must be a formatting issue.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Hear is a screen shot of how page 14 of the 2011 January Ensign PDF shows up on the iPhone when viewed from the built in Safari browser.

I pointed the browser at the PDF file on classic.lds.org.
Ensign.2011.01.P14.jpg
Ensign.2011.01.P14.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

Return to “Mobile Applications”