Adding ward missionary

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mallan2000

Adding ward missionary

Post by mallan2000 »

The name of one of our missionaries in our ward is not showing up on the donation list under ward missionaries. How do I add his name? When I click on the add button all of the options are greyed out and won't allow access.

Thanks,
Marc Allan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's created automatically by CHQ when the full-time missionary begins service. Is this for something other then a full-time missionary?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:It's created automatically by CHQ when the full-time missionary begins service.

The subcategory of the Ward Missionary category is actually created shortly after the call is issued.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The thread Missionary fund tracking discusses this issue of how to track funds for missionaries since MLS no longer permits missionaries to be added at the unit level.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mallan2000

Post by mallan2000 »

This is for a full time missonary, who had to return home for a couple of months and has recently returned back to his mission. His name is not showing up and he returned about 3 weeks ago. It sounds like a call to HQ will be needed.
BarryHill

Post by BarryHill »

I hope it is not improper protocol to add my question to this thread. We just had a couple move into our ward. Their son is on a full time mission and his records were also transferred into our ward. His name does not show up as one of our missionaries and the parents have donated his monthly funds. When all attempts to add his name came up with just grayed out areas, we added the funds to ward missionary until it is resolved.

Am I to understand that we cannot add him but that we can expect to see his name show up automatically as a sub-category under missionary ???
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

barryhill wrote:I hope it is not improper protocol to add my question to this thread. We just had a couple move into our ward. Their son is on a full time mission and his records were also transferred into our ward. His name does not show up as one of our missionaries and the parents have donated his monthly funds. When all attempts to add his name came up with just grayed out areas, we added the funds to ward missionary until it is resolved.

Am I to understand that we cannot add him but that we can expect to see his name show up automatically as a sub-category under missionary ???
I think you did the right thing for now. Seethe instructions for the recent conversion to CUBS financial accounting (my bold emphasis added).
A subcategory for each missionary will automatically appear in MLS for missionaries serving from the ward as indicated from the Missionary Department. Wards will not be able to modify or set up these manually. As new missionaries are called, the Missionary Department will notify the Finance department and new subcategories will appear in the MLS system for the wards.

Each month Church headquarters withdraws a monthly amount for each single full-time proselytizing missionary serving from the ward. The missionary withdrawal amount will be automatically recorded in MLS. The clerk will not have to manually enter the amount in MLS as was previously required. If donations for a particular missionary are received prior to having a subcategory for the missionary set up through the Missionary Department, the ward should record those donations in the Ward Missionary category. Such donations may be later transferred to the specific missionary's subcategory after it has been automatically set up.
The problem is keeping track of that offline while waiting for the subcategory to be created. If this doesn't happen soon, I recommend contacting headquarters.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

barryhill wrote:Am I to understand that we cannot add him but that we can expect to see his name show up automatically as a sub-category under missionary ???
It's true that you can't add him, but his name will not show up automatically as a subcategory until you transfer responsibility for his missionary payments to your ward. See Transferring missionary funding to another ward in the wiki for details, which include specifying the month in which payments are to start. Thus your first deduction may be extra large to cover multiple months.

Shortly after the responsibility is transferred, you will see the subcategory appear in MLS. Then you can adjust the category for any donations that have been made to use that subcategory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
karirk

Re: Adding ward missionary

Post by karirk »

Hello,
I am an assistant finance secretary and have the same issue for our own son who is about 1 1/2 weeks away from leaving for Sweden from the MTC. The issue is that for some reason he has not been added by headquarters as a sub-catagory to date. Is there a number available to call to confirm what the issue might be so we can resolve this prior to his arrival in Sweden. I can imagine it could cause issues if the routing is not in place for the funds.

Thanks,
Kari R-K (concerned parent and assistant financial clerk)
eblood66

Re: Adding ward missionary

Post by eblood66 »

karirk wrote:Hello,
I am an assistant finance secretary and have the same issue for our own son who is about 1 1/2 weeks away from leaving for Sweden from the MTC. The issue is that for some reason he has not been added by headquarters as a sub-catagory to date. Is there a number available to call to confirm what the issue might be so we can resolve this prior to his arrival in Sweden. I can imagine it could cause issues if the routing is not in place for the funds.

Thanks,
Kari R-K (concerned parent and assistant financial clerk)
Ther first thing I'd do is check in the Missionary Online Recommendation System and make sure your unit is listed as the financially responsible unit. You may have to have the bishop or ward clerk check unless the bishop has given you access to this system. If the financially responsible unit is different than your unit there will be a link named 'Other Units' on the right hand side of the line for the missionary. Clicking on that link will list which units are involved with that missionary.

If that wrong unit is listed then you should be able to contact the local unit support and get that changed.

On the other hand, if the right unit is listed then you probably need to contact local unit support as well. So you could just start there in the first place.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”