New Audit Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

New Audit Question

Post by mlh78 »

I was reviewing the latest audit forms and found this new question:

[align=left]Have all other action items more than one month old been cleared?[/align]
[/color]
[align=left]Review the Unit Financial Statement. If any other action items more than one month old have not been cleared,[/align]
mark “No.”

I wonder how this question should be interpreted. I see two alternatives:

(1) None of the action items on the last CUFS for the audit period are over one month old; or

(2) At no point during the audit period did an action item remain unresolved for more than one month.

ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

For stake audits this is going to alway be an exception I imagine. Last time I looked at our stake CUFS, each unit in our stake had action items. I have no idea what all of them are other than to call each clerk and ask about what each action item is and frankly, I don't have the time to do that. Most seem to be outstanding checks more than a month old which is quite common and I don't feel it warrants a call to the clerk every other week to ask if the check has been cashed or not. Isn't that what the Outstanding Check form is for anyway?

BTW, how did you get a copy of the new audit form(s). We downloaded MLS 3.3 and the audit forms were the same ones we have been using for the last year or so. The new ones mentioned by the Audit Department in a letter dated 20 December are not updated in the newest version of MLS (3.3). I had to call the Audit Department and have them send me an email with the forms as an attachment. We were being proactive about training our auditors with the new forms (and new electronic method) but had no luck on the new audit web site or with MLS.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

FFRsqpilot wrote:BTW, how did you get a copy of the new audit form(s).

We got them from our area auditor/trainer.
carlscpa

Post by carlscpa »

We would like to start training our auditors also. What is the number of the Audit Department? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

carlscpa wrote:We would like to start training our auditors also. What is the number of the Audit Department? Thanks.

The Church Auditing Department can be reached by phone at: 801-240-4018 (Salt Lake City area) or 1-800-453-3860, extension 2-4018
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

mlh78 wrote:I was reviewing the latest audit forms and found this new question:

[align=left]Have all other action items more than one month old been cleared?[/align]
[/color]
[align=left]Review the Unit Financial Statement. If any other action items more than one month old have not been cleared,[/align]
mark “No.”

I wonder how this question should be interpreted. I see two alternatives:

(1) None of the action items on the last CUFS for the audit period are over one month old; or

(2) At no point during the audit period did an action item remain unresolved for more than one month.

The new audit forms can also be found in MLS 3.3. You have to do a couple send/receives after updating/migrating to receive them, however.

I'm know my reply is not definitive, but the interpretation that coincides best with the old audit would be #1, that at the time of the audit, there are no "outstanding" issues (use to be reconciling items I believe).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:I'm know my reply is not definitive, but the interpretation that coincides best with the old audit would be #1, that at the time of the audit, there are no "outstanding" issues (use to be reconciling items I believe).

To concur and clarify, I would note that the outstanding issues that are relevant are those listed in the financial statement for the last month of the audit period. If any action items that were more than a month old as of the end of the audit period are still unresolved as of the time of the audit, then an exception is warranted.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

mlh78 wrote:Have all other action items more than one month old been cleared?
Review the Unit Financial Statement. If any other action items more than one month old have not been cleared, mark “No.”
This is question 23 in the audit form. I would like to add a comment/clarification about the word "other". To do so, I need to add question 22:
Have all outstanding checks more than 6 months old been cleared?
Review the Unit Financial Statement. If any outstanding checks are more than six months old, mark "No"
Any outstanding check, no matter how old, causes an action item on the UFS. Therefore, when reading these two question sequentially, my interpretation is that all action items for outstanding checks are ignored when answering #23 as they are handled separately in #22. So if the only action items on the UFS are for outstanding checks, #23 is answered Yes or N/A (as there are no other action items).
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

We got a letter and instructions asking us to do everything online (as far as the audit forms go) this year.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

wrigjef wrote:We got a letter and instructions asking us to do everything online (as far as the audit forms go) this year.
What do you mean by "everything?" Starting last year, it was up to the stake to print their own forms from MLS. However, after that, everything was filled in by hand and mailed back in. I have not heard of any online submission system yet.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”