New Calendar: reserving resource for event setup/teardown

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
unixguy

New Calendar: reserving resource for event setup/teardown

Post by unixguy »

(This was posted at ldsmediatalk.com on an old thread, so I'm reposting it here for comments.)

I used the calendar setup wizard yesterday with our Bishop (using his credentials), and it worked quite well. Two issues came up after the import process:
1) We had PEC/WC in the old calendar listed as all day events (sometimes it seems like they drag on, but I digress) in order to have them printed without the meeting time (and they were imported as such). In the new calendar, trying to change them from all day events to short duration (but repeating) didn’t seem to ever work. I finally ended up having to delete the calendar entry that had been imported and just create a new one.
2) Although I used to have calendar admin privs, I have a calling now that doesn’t require them and I am pretty sure I’m not listed as an editor. We did the import at the Bishop’s house (using his credentials) and then I came home and was still able to make a bunch of changes using my own credentials. (Changing titles, deleting/adding events to the ward calendar.) Hmm, I suppose the calendar we imported to might be open to the whole ward for editing? It seems like there might be a bug here?

Now for the big question– is there any discusssion regarding making the “ward calendar” link on the ward web site adjustable, so that the ward website administrator can switch it from pointing from the old calendar to the new calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

unixguy wrote:Now for the big question– is there any discussion regarding making the “ward calendar” link on the ward web site adjustable, so that the ward website administrator can switch it from pointing from the old calendar to the new calendar?

Yes, this has been discussed. Your best course of action is to delete everything off the old calendar and put a single repeating event "see the new calendar".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

unixguy wrote:1) We had PEC/WC in the old calendar listed as all day events (sometimes it seems like they drag on, but I digress) in order to have them printed without the meeting time (and they were imported as such). In the new calendar, trying to change them from all day events to short duration (but repeating) didn’t seem to ever work. I finally ended up having to delete the calendar entry that had been imported and just create a new one.

I've seen that as well in the past, where an all-day event cannot be converted to an event with specific times. But I have not seen the problem recently, and when I just tested it, it worked fine. So maybe you just need to try again now.
unixguy wrote:2) Although I used to have calendar admin privs, I have a calling now that doesn’t require them and I am pretty sure I’m not listed as an editor. We did the import at the Bishop’s house (using his credentials) and then I came home and was still able to make a bunch of changes using my own credentials. (Changing titles, deleting/adding events to the ward calendar.) Hmm, I suppose the calendar we imported to might be open to the whole ward for editing? It seems like there might be a bug here?

I've never heard of that. You might not be an editor, but is it possible you are still an approver? In particular, if you had the calling of Ward Website Administrator, and that calling has not been removed, you would still have pretty much all power over your ward's calendar. You might want to check with your ward clerk and ask him to check in both MLS and CDOL if you are still listed with that calling (or some clerk or executive secretary calling) that would give you calendar approver permissions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:I've never heard of that. You might not be an editor, but is it possible you are still an approver? In particular, if you had the calling of Ward Website Administrator, and that calling has not been removed, you would still have pretty much all power over your ward's calendar. You might want to check with your ward clerk and ask him to check in both MLS and CDOL if you are still listed with that calling (or some clerk or executive secretary calling) that would give you calendar approver permissions.

You can also check your calling in the new directory. Just look under Ward Leaders and Organizations.

Return to “Calendar”