View Calendar subscriptions or reivew who email was sent to.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
imcurtis

View Calendar subscriptions or reivew who email was sent to.

Post by imcurtis »

I have been working on our ward calendar and have sent many emails out that I didn't mean to. I have learned how to not do that and I have added several events. I have edited them several times and they are now ready to broadcast notifications for.

How do I know who is subscribed? Can I tell who has opted out? Can I monitor or view who was sent the email notifications and how many were rejected?

I have searced for the answers and can't find them.

Curtis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

imcurtis wrote:I have been working on our ward calendar and have sent many emails out that I didn't mean to. I have learned how to not do that and I have added several events. I have edited them several times and they are now ready to broadcast notifications for.

How do I know who is subscribed? Can I tell who has opted out? Can I monitor or view who was sent the email notifications and how many were rejected?

Curtis
It's hard to find the answers because the answers are no, no, and no. The premise of the calendar is that people take individual responsibility for subscribing and they will receive appropriate notifications that are sent out. It's not your job to find out who the notifications are sent to. If people receive notifications that they don't like, they take personal responsibility to unsubscribe or to turn off notifications. And people also have to take personal responsibility to make sure their email address on their LDS Account is current.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
imcurtis

Post by imcurtis »

I did not expect to manage subscriptions. As I am tasked with maintaining the general ward website I simply wondered if any of the email notices were sent out. It currently is like magic. I click the button and nothing happens, as far as I can tell. I have no idea if the notices went out and who got them if anyone.

It would also be helpful if I could see who has subscribed to help when they come to me and ask for it. Like, "why do I not get the email from the ward calendar?" I could look and say well you are not subscribed. But that is not as important as to know if the email was sent and to who.

For example. I just created an event in our ward calendar and sent the email. I have to login to my wife's account to check to see if the email went out. In this case she did not get it. So I had to go back and work on the ward calendar until I got it right.

There should be a way for me to check that without having to share account information with someone else.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

imcurtis wrote:I did not expect to manage subscriptions. As I am tasked with maintaining the general ward website I simply wondered if any of the email notices were sent out. It currently is like magic. I click the button and nothing happens, as far as I can tell. I have no idea if the notices went out and who got them if anyone.

It would also be helpful if I could see who has subscribed to help when they come to me and ask for it. Like, "why do I not get the email from the ward calendar?" I could look and say well you are not subscribed. But that is not as important as to know if the email was sent and to who.

For example. I just created an event in our ward calendar and sent the email. I have to login to my wife's account to check to see if the email went out. In this case she did not get it. So I had to go back and work on the ward calendar until I got it right.

There should be a way for me to check that without having to share account information with someone else.
I agree that some of these suggestions would be quite helpful in administering the calendar. You can use the Submit Feedback link on lds.org to send in your suggestions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Can you put yourself in as an editor for those calendars and then you receive notice?
imcurtis

Post by imcurtis »

yes I get the notices but I have no idea who else gets them. For example I created a private calendar, I called it Test private family calendar. About an hour later I got an email as a reply from someone in the ward that was not part of my editor or viewer list. So somehow that email was sent so other people besides my intended target. I have no way of knowing who got this email and if my private calendar is actually private. It seems that it isn't.

I think this the the bug that I read about. In that I think I created this calendar as a public calendar, saved it then went back and changed it to private. But I really have no way of testing. Every account that I can share login info with is on that private calendar. I think the bug is that if you create a calendar like this you have to delete it and recreat it to make it private. If you want a private calendar you have to make it private from the beginning.

But again with no way to test I have to wait and enlist the help of several ward members to learn and test the settings. It really is difficult.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

imcurtis wrote:How do I know who is subscribed? Can I tell who has opted out? Can I monitor or view who was sent the email notifications and how many were rejected?

I've hoped for some increased accountability from our emails as well, but it just isn't in place yet. My hopes for future enhancements:
[INDENT]
  • Some kind of report on what was sent and who it went to: "your email has been sent" in a pop up is not enough! In LUWS, an email "report" is sent to the sender, listing the contents and who it was sent to. This can then be filed, or it can be given to the bishop as a follow-through report (return and report.)
  • report or listing of "bounces." Whose email is not being delivered?
[/INDENT]
Have you submitted your thoughts via the feedback link within the calendar app?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

imcurtis wrote:For example. I just created an event in our ward calendar and sent the email. I have to login to my wife's account to check to see if the email went out. In this case she did not get it....
We should note that the future sending of emails for a calendar event option hasn't yet worked, to my knowledge, if that is what you've tried. They may have fixed this bug, as my testing on it was awhile ago.
brettberger

Post by brettberger »

kisaac wrote:Have you submitted your thoughts via the feedback link within the calendar app?
There isn't a 'feedback' link on the https://lds.org/church-calendar/?lang=eng page. (at least I don't see it, maybe I'm overlooking it.) I can go to the https://lds.org/tools?lang=eng and provide feedback on Local Unit (Stake and Ward) Web sites, but there's not an option to choose the calendar and I'd prefer to get it to the correct location and not a black hole.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

brettberger wrote:There isn't a 'feedback' link on the https://lds.org/church-calendar/?lang=eng page. (at least I don't see it, maybe I'm overlooking it.) I can go to the https://lds.org/tools?lang=eng and provide feedback on Local Unit (Stake and Ward) Web sites, but there's not an option to choose the calendar and I'd prefer to get it to the correct location and not a black hole.
That's not a black hole -- the Submit Feedback is the correct place to send feedback. And the "Local Unit (Stake and Ward) Web sites" category is as close as you can get for the Calendar. Back when there was a Submit Feedback link on the Calendar page, it still went to the same place, where you could choose any area of LDS.org to give feedback on.

So never fear -- just go ahead and use the Submit Feedback link and rest assured that your feedback will go to the right place. I know for certain that the Calendar team gets feedback that is submitted that way (verified to me by a Church employee who was reviewing that feedback).

Return to “Calendar”