Problem with full calendar days

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RBeatse

Problem with full calendar days

Post by RBeatse »

This may only be a problem for people who have calendar editing abilities but...
When I go to a day that has so many items on the calendar that they cannot all fit in one square (like most Sundays), the square automatically gives me a scroll bar. This is fine. However, when I click on the scroll bar, the whole date is selected (and for me turns red) and as soon as I release the mouse button it opens up a dialog box as if to add a new item to that date. I had my wife try the same thing and it did the same for her except that, since she is in the Primary presidency, it came up with a new calendar item for the Primary.

**edit** I just tried it again but this time when I mouse over the date and the scroll bar shows, I just rolled my mouse wheel and that allowed me to get to the bottom and click an item without it turning red and opening a new calendar item. The original problem is still there but this is some kind of work around.**

Additionally, it would be nice to allow calendar editors to turn on and off the calendar editing so that you can see what a "normal" member sees when they view the calendar items.

I was going to put this info in the feedback portion but I couldn't find that on the calendar page (I'm sure I'm just being blind).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RBeatse wrote:This may only be a problem for people who have calendar editing abilities but...
When I go to a day that has so many items on the calendar that they cannot all fit in one square (like most Sundays), the square automatically gives me a scroll bar. This is fine. However, when I click on the scroll bar, the whole date is selected (and for me turns red) and as soon as I release the mouse button it opens up a dialog box as if to add a new item to that date. I had my wife try the same thing and it did the same for her except that, since she is in the Primary presidency, it came up with a new calendar item for the Primary.
I can't duplicate this. When I click on the scroll bar, it functions as a scroll bar should. What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox.
RBeatse wrote:**edit** I just tried it again but this time when I mouse over the date and the scroll bar shows, I just rolled my mouse wheel and that allowed me to get to the bottom and click an item without it turning red and opening a new calendar item. The original problem is still there but this is some kind of work around.**
The mouse wheel is indeed helpful.
RBeatse wrote:Additionally, it would be nice to allow calendar editors to turn on and off the calendar editing so that you can see what a "normal" member sees when they view the calendar items.
I agree that this would be helpful. I find myself often using my wife's account so that I can see what regular members see. But what if I didn't have access to the login for a regular member?
RBeatse wrote:I was going to put this info in the feedback portion but I couldn't find that on the calendar page (I'm sure I'm just being blind).

You're not being blind. For some reason, the footer on the calendar pages doesn't match the footer on the main lds.org page. But that shouldn't stop you from submitting feedback -- just go to the main lds.org page, where you will find a Submit Feedback link. You can submit feedback for any part of lds.org (including the calendar) using that link.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

aebrown wrote:

I can't duplicate this. When I click on the scroll bar, it functions as a scroll bar should. What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox.

[/QUOTE]

I, also, am using Firefox (ver 3.6.13) but I did find that when i just tried it again that if when the scroll bar shows up, if you click on the arrows, it is fine. I was clicking on the bar and dragging it down and that is when I found the problem. If you could try to recreate that way, then I'll have some better information when I submit the feedback. Thanks.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I, also, am using Firefox (ver 3.6.13) but I did find that when i just tried it again that if when the scroll bar shows up, if you click on the arrows, it is fine. I was clicking on the bar and dragging it down and that is when I found the problem. If you could try to recreate that way, then I'll have some better information when I submit the feedback. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RBeatse wrote:I, also, am using Firefox (ver 3.6.13) but I did find that when i just tried it again that if when the scroll bar shows up, if you click on the arrows, it is fine. I was clicking on the bar and dragging it down and that is when I found the problem. If you could try to recreate that way, then I'll have some better information when I submit the feedback. Thanks.
I tried all aspects of the scroll bar -- dragging the bar, clicking below and above the bar, and clicking the arrows. Everything worked fine.

The one thing that didn't work fine is that occasionally the scroll bar would not appear as I moved my mouse over that area. But if I clicked where the scroll bar should appear, it would then appear.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RBeatse

Could be an issue with the number of items in the day

Post by RBeatse »

I have tried this again with multiple computers, all with the same result and so I am going to reference this thread in a feedback section (no need to recreate the wheel) and I am attaching a screen print of what I see. Maybe it will peak someone's interest.
Attachments
Calendar issue.jpg
(78.2 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RBeatse wrote:I have tried this again with multiple computers, all with the same result and so I am going to reference this thread in a feedback section (no need to recreate the wheel) and I am attaching a screen print of what I see. Maybe it will peak someone's interest.
I'm seeing the same result in FF 3.6.13 as well. It doesn't happen in IE for me. I'm trying to use Firebug to figure out why it's happening.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I've identified what is happening. If you click on the blank area of a day (in month view) and drag to another day it will highlight (in red) all of the days between and then pop up the Event Details dialog pre-filled with that date range. If you click on the blank area in a day and just move the mouse a bit in that same day it will do the same but only highlight the one day. In FF it is sending the mouse click and mouse move messages that are used for drag even when you click and move the scrollbar. That's what's causing the highlight and dialog.

In IE it doesn't send those messages when moving the scrollbar. There is a probably a difference in the event bubbling or propagation methods in the two browsers that isn't being accounted for. I'm not familiar enough with the event models in both to say for certain.

I'm not sure though why aebrown isn't seeing the same results in FF.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I don't see that moving the selection box within the scroll bar changes the day to red in Chrome.
If you click on the blank area of a day (in month view) and drag to another day it will highlight (in red) all of the days between and then pop up the Event Details dialog pre-filled with that date range. If you click on the blank area in a day and just move the mouse a bit in that same day it will do the same but only highlight the one day.
This happens in Chrome, but doesn't appear to be a bug but by design.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:I've identified what is happening. If you click on the blank area of a day (in month view) and drag to another day it will highlight (in red) all of the days between and then pop up the Event Details dialog pre-filled with that date range. If you click on the blank area in a day and just move the mouse a bit in that same day it will do the same but only highlight the one day. In FF it is sending the mouse click and mouse move messages that are used for drag even when you click and move the scrollbar. That's what's causing the highlight and dialog.

In IE it doesn't send those messages when moving the scrollbar. There is a probably a difference in the event bubbling or propagation methods in the two browsers that isn't being accounted for. I'm not familiar enough with the event models in both to say for certain.

I'm not sure though why aebrown isn't seeing the same results in FF.
I'm not seeing the same thing you're describing because you are describing something quite different from the original post. You started out your explanation by saying " If you click on the blank area of a day (in month view) and drag to another day...." That is a step never mentioned before. What was mentioned was "when I click on the scroll bar". I was reporting what happened when I clicked on the scroll bar.

Return to “Calendar”