Two Features Needed Before LUWS v2.0

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
grhart-p40

Two Features Needed Before LUWS v2.0

Post by grhart-p40 »

I can't help but notice that some minor updates sneak into MLS and Unit Websites, namely very useful CSV, vCard, iCal, vCal downloads and case-sensitive member names. Thanks to Pete W. and whomever else at the Church may be responsible for making these happen.

Can I rehash what I might call two critical features that are badly needed in MLS and the LUWS? 1) Support for individual (non-household) phone numbers, and 2) sharing of email addresses between MLS and LUWS. In my humble opinion, all other talk of calendaring, mapping, registering, HT/VT tools, and Leadership Directory, are secondary (though I don't mean to diminish their relevance).

My current ward with a very capable RS presidency of power moms and business women, refuses to use MLS to manage the sisters' contact information, and therefore the LUWS, simply because one household phone and one household email address is not realistic. I've offered them work-arounds in MLS using "Custom Member Fields", but those of you who have created and entered a Custom Member Field know how quirky that process is, not to mention that they are not shared with the LUWS.

There's been mention by 'shellinese' in the forums about LUWS v2.0. Like the other much appreciated enhancements mentioned above, can personal phone numbers and shared email addresses make there way in before a complete rewrite of the LUWS, which I understand may not happen for some time?

Thanks for considering this amongst all your development demands.

-Greg
ShellineSE

Post by ShellineSE »

You are right that some minor enhancements have crept into LUWS over time, although these are rare exceptions. For example, case-sensitive names was actually a result of changes made to the membership database, not LUWS itself.

In nearly all cases (bug fixes and Pete's changes are exceptions), making changes to LUWS or other Church applications is done in the context of a project. Projects are created when a feature is deemed critical, but a project still has to go through a vetting process to ensure it is important to do in the context of all the other projects that have been submitted. Without saying too much, you can be sure that if something doesn't get done, it is because limited resources require higher priority work to be done first.
grhart-p40

Expanding Available Resources

Post by grhart-p40 »

Thanks for the helpful explanation. You probably went over things like this at the Tech Talks, but alas, many of us are out-of-state/country.

What can be done to increase the resources available to the Church on non-open-source projects like MLS and LUWS, allowing continual development between major releases? You've probably gone over the options, but it feels like there's got to be a temple recommend holding Tcl developer out there willing to sub-contract remotely? Even one that would volunteer? What conditions would need be met to make this an acceptable arrangement for the Church?

Without an open-source MLS or LUWS, is there anything else that developers on this forum can offer?

Thanks again,

-Greg
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

grhart wrote:What can be done to increase the resources available to the Church on non-open-source projects like MLS and LUWS, allowing continual development between major releases? You've probably gone over the options, but it feels like there's got to be a temple recommend holding Tcl developer out there willing to sub-contract remotely? Even one that would volunteer? What conditions would need be met to make this an acceptable arrangement for the Church?

Without an open-source MLS or LUWS, is there anything else that developers on this forum can offer?

Part of my job is to figure that out. I'm working with different departments to understand what we can and cannot open up to community involvement. Please be patient while I work through the process.

Tom
grhart-p40

Post by grhart-p40 »

Thanks Tom. We'll hold you to this;) This and other forums show that there is interest and talent to fill the gap.

In the meantime, can anything be done to increase the priority of support for non-household phone numbers and shared email addresses to critical or bug, so they could fall under the current definition of the project?

It's my suggestion that units would immediately get allot of mileage out of these two fixes, and are worth making an exception for. Unit leaders and auxiliaries would find the LUWS a more effective tool for getting a hold of members (thanks to personal phone numbers), and the Email Broadcast tool on the LUWS would take a huge leap towards useful because clerks/webmasters could subscribe a member's email address.

Thanks for considering,

-Greg
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The best I can do is to provide your urgent plea to those who prioritize the bug/features to work on.

Tom
iswcky

individual phone numbers

Post by iswcky »

grhart wrote:....Can I rehash what I might call two critical features that are badly needed in MLS and the LUWS? 1) Support for individual (non-household) phone numbers, and 2) sharing of email addresses between MLS and LUWS....
-Greg

A partial workaround we have been using is is to place the individual phone number and email address in the prefered name field of MLS, i.e., instead of:

Member, John

we make it:

Member, John (888-788-1234 / john@lds.org)

This allows the personal phone and email address to show up in both MLS reports and LUWS.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

iswcky wrote:A partial workaround we have been using is is to place the individual phone number and email address in the prefered name field of MLS, i.e., instead of:

Member, John

we make it:

Member, John (888-788-1234 / john@lds.org)

This allows the personal phone and email address to show up in both MLS reports and LUWS.
At first I thought this sounded like a great idea, but my husband said that if this was entered in MLS, then the cell phone numbers as well as email addresses or anything you enter in the first name field would appear on the attendance rolls, which I don't think is a good idea.

Maybe we just need to wait, hope and see if this would be an update they make for MLS to have a separate field for cell, or personal phone numbers and/or email addresses.

Individuals can update their profile on the ward webpage by logging in, clicking on UPDATE PROFILE, then type in a preferred first name and their cell phone number on the same line. It works, I tried it. If they are registered, the little envelope icon will appear so adding their email address wouldn't be necessary on the webpage.
blackrg

individual e-mail and phone fields

Post by blackrg »

I'll agree that individual fields would help out a lot here too, particularly as some of our membership dumps their home phones in favor of cell phones which have a tendency to be carried by individual family members and not often available to the family as a whole. Despite the usefulness of this feature though, I don't think I'd kick it to the top rung. Mapping would help us a lot more than these particular features right now. I'm sure there are other things that could possibly be more useful as well. I will agree that they are important features though :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:If they are registered, the little envelope icon will appear so adding their email address wouldn't be necessary on the webpage.
I think the envelop icon only indicates that there is a email address and it's not hidden. If the envelop is there, then obviously they have registered. If it's not there, you have no clue.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”