Multistake Singles Ward and LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
kcowolf

Multistake Singles Ward and LUWS

Post by kcowolf »

Our singles ward covers two stakes. It is assigned to one stake, but our bishopric has one counselor from the other stake. His records are still in his home ward, but we have created an out-of-unit record for him. Unfortunately, he can't access our ward or stake websites. Is there anything he or we can do to give him access, or is this not possible?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kcowolf wrote:Our singles ward covers two stakes. It is assigned to one stake, but our bishopric has one counselor from the other stake. His records are still in his home ward, but we have created an out-of-unit record for him. Unfortunately, he can't access our ward or stake websites. Is there anything he or we can do to give him access, or is this not possible?

If you're talking about LUWS (on the "classic" ward and stake websites), then it's easy to do -- just have the stake website administrator add him as a nonresident member, as described on the wiki at Adding nonresident members to the Web site.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

If you're talking about the new lds.org directory and calendar, there is no mechanism by which you can grant non-resident members access. One work-around for the calendar at least might be to add him as an editor to the calendars by calling instead of by name. I know of no work-arounds for the directory, however.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

As a Project Manager for LDS Tools for Android, I am getting lots of requests from these out-of-unit leaders to have access to information in their home stakes (not a problem) and the unit they are serving in (there is the problem). The bishops or branch presidents don't seem to have a problem viewing this information in LDS.org (I suspect because of the unique way they are added as bishops and branch presidents in MLS). I'm investigating further to see if it is possible for out-of-unit leaders to have access and I'll post information as I find it.

The other problem I'm having with the directory is getting all of these out-of-unit leaders to show up in the directory. Again, no problem with the bishops or branch presidents but lots of problems with other leaders. I am a stake clerk and in one of my branches we have a clerk and a RS board member that shows up but no counselors or RS presidency (all out-of-unit leaders). I sent a message to the CDOL support team and they did something on their end that after the units transmitted in MLS the clerk did show up but none of the other leaders. At one time, I contacted MLS support and they said it was a known issue but I have been unable to contact them since the CUBS transition in October to verify that this is still a known issue or if it is something they are working on.

Does anybody else see this issue?
Jason Hyer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jasonhyer wrote:LDS Tools for Android

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect LDS Tools to have any functionality over what the new website does. Currently it's struggling with the same issues regarding out-of-unit leaders. I understand it's being worked on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

jasonhyer wrote:The other problem I'm having with the directory is getting all of these out-of-unit leaders to show up in the directory.
I seem to remember reading a reply on here from ryan_jones that you needed to create out-of-unit records for them in MLS for them to show up. However, a quick check of my ward shows that this approach does not appear to work. Even the current bishopric members do not appear. This is on new.lds.org/directory.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jasonhyer wrote:The other problem I'm having with the directory is getting all of these out-of-unit leaders to show up in the directory. Again, no problem with the bishops or branch presidents but lots of problems with other leaders. I am a stake clerk and in one of my branches we have a clerk and a RS board member that shows up but no counselors or RS presidency (all out-of-unit leaders).
I looked at the Branch in CDOL and MLS and for RS one difference between the ones that are in CDOL and the ones that aren't is that the ones that are in CDOL have a record number in MLS. Try adding the MRN to the others and see if that gets them sent up to CDOL.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

crislapi wrote:I seem to remember reading a reply on here from ryan_jones that you needed to create out-of-unit records for them in MLS for them to show up. However, a quick check of my ward shows that this approach does not appear to work. Even the current bishopric members do not appear. This is on new.lds.org/directory.
In looking at the logs the queries to CDOL do return some of the bishopric (the Bishop, the second councilor, the exec. sec. and some clerks). If they aren't showing up in directory then it is a bug in the code as opposed to the data not being there in CDOL.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

Same issue....our singles ward covers two stakes and none of our Bishopric members show up in the directory. Neither do the senior couples assigned to the ward. I am the clerk.

All of these people show up in CDOL.

Interestingly, I use Android and the lds tools application for android gets me to my home ward and stake but the ward central free app gets me to the singles ward and not my home ward. So I have both apps on the phone to access each ward.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”